Skip to main content

I usually buy cheese to smoke in 2-1/2# blocks which I then cut into 5-pieces, about 1/2# each piece. I also cut the 1# chunks of specialty cheeses into smaller 1/2# pieces. Wondering if it is really necessary to cut the cheese into smaller pieces, or can I smoke the larger blocks just fine?? The smaller 1/2# pieces seem to pick-up plenty of smoke flavor with about a 1-1/2 hour cold smoke time in my Amerique. Would larger pieces then require more time to get smoke flavor all through the block of cheese?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Padrefan98:
I cut mine into 1# pieces. I really like the size of a 1# because it's perfect for crackers. I haven't smoked bigger chunks. But, I imagine it would be fine. Give it a shot and let us know.

Thanks Padrefan98. I too am looking for larger pieces as they fit & stay on sandwiches & etc better than the smaller sizes do.
quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog:
Wondering if it is really necessary to cut the cheese into smaller pieces, or can I smoke the larger blocks just fine?? The smaller 1/2# pieces seem to pick-up plenty of smoke flavor with about a 1-1/2 hour cold smoke time in my Amerique. Would larger pieces then require more time to get smoke flavor all through the block of cheese?

The reason for cutting the larger blocks of cheese into smaller ones is to increase the surface area that the smoke will be contacting. The more surface area the sooner the cheese will equalize resulting in a thoroughly smoked product. If you are going to smoke the larger blocks, I would recommend waxing after smoking and depending on the amount of smoke applied and the time, allow it to mellow or equalize at 40° - 60° for at least 3 months or much longer.

Tom

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.