Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Isn't "smoked" chipotles redundant?

Okay, just teasing.

Smoked Jalapeno's = Chipotles.

We've had a couple of good discussions about "peppers" I'll have to check the search, but they weren't about smoking them.

Have heard lots of people talking about them, a few with other smokers, but I haven't heard of anyone with a CS doing them.

So, I'm in the process myself of doing this.

Hey Tom (he's our Pepper Guru) whatdayathink? If anyone's done it or going to do it, Tom's the one.

I've modified a recipe from this site (thanks Randy):

Randy's Chipotles in a Weber

Everyone says to smoke them for days (hmmmm, another advantage to a CS) so I'm working this part out.

Smoke at 150 for 2 days. I've followed Randy's advice for cleaning and preparing. For wood, I'm going to add Pecan, just an oz. and them each 12 hrs, another oz.

Now I'm concerned about the extra humidity in the CS, so I'm going to pop open the door to let moisture out.

So, until someone has a better answer, it's off we go. But I'm no pepper expert, I just want to dry my own chili's.

Smokin'

Another good Pepper Site:

Fiery Foods Check out the Chipotle Profile
One of the waiters at our neighborhood local restaurant describes the process used in Mexico as drying and smoking simultaneously, so Smokin' is on the right tracks.

I would like to try it in a Cookshack smoker/dehdrator -- everyone send Stuart a message and tell him I need a smoker/dehydrator down here in Norman.

And yes, smoked chipotles belongs in the department of redundancy department. Big Grin

Donna
quote:
Originally posted by Andi:
[qb]Why can't ya just smoke the jalepenos low temp until they dry? I dunno. Help! Do they need to be roasted, maybe? Confused [/qb]

Andi, that's exactly what we're saying to do, smoke the for a couple of days in a CS at 150, what's confusing?

Check out the URL I posted to Randy, he did his in a Weber.

Most people who smoke them do so for many many days, I've seen comments about 4 or 5 days, I just want to figure out the issues with the CS because it retains moisture.

But I don't have it "solved" yet, I'm just experimenting.

Smokin
and that's the "problem" I indicated. The CS retains moisture/humidity very well.

Since it's a smoke of a long time, I would think that a "frequent" opening of the door would help. I'd say every 2 or 4 hours.

I'm not sure about how much smoke to try. I haven't seen much about how much smoke others used in their process, but don't you think the Jalapeno's would absorb it readily. So, how about a new chunk of smoke if you open the door every four hours. Might be too much?

We'll figure this out.

Of course I want to solve using my smokette.

Smokin'
Mine are in the Smokette now. I slit the peppers to allow steam to escape and will open the door every four hours. I am bummed I have no mesquite. It's 200 miles away! So, hickory it is. I dunno about that, but I only put 4 jalepenos in there....we'll see! Taking notes... Cool
PERFECT RESULTS!!!!!!! After 17 hours I now have chipotles! I started with 2 oz. wood. temp was 150. Let her rip until no more smoke. Opened door after about 7 hours and added 2 more oz. Let that go until no more smoke, then just let it go all night with no smoke. The jalepenos are perfectly dried (taking pics) and smell heavenly. I slit them in 4 plaves to allow steam to escape. These jalepenos were big ones. About 3 inches long by maybe 2 1/2 around. Proud Mama, I am! Could not have doen it w/o my Smokette! Big Grin
According to the Chipotle profile on Fiery Foods, I have made chili meco, meaning blackish-red. "Meco being close to seco-meaning dried."

Since I only did 4, I am going to make chipotle powder. Wow! Talk about a rub additive, eh?

The chilies are very dry, shriveled as they should be, and totally perfect! Red Face
Chipotles in Adobo Sauce

7 to 10 medium-sized dried
chipotle chilies -- stemmed
and slit lengthwise, mine are already slit from the smoking
1/3 cup Onion -- 1/2-inch slices
5 tablespoons Cider vinegar
2 Cloves garlic -- sliced
4 tablespoons Ketchup
1/4 teaspoon Salt

Combine all of the ingredients in a pan with 3 cups of water. Cover and cook over very low heat for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until the chilies are very soft and the liquid has been reduced to 1 cup. This recipe will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator in an airtight container. I will can in a waterbath.
Razzer
Howdy gang.....Hate to miss out on a topic like this,but the box had been down.....Gave me more time to focus on cooking and entertaining, though.....It sounds like ya'll have gotten a pretty good handle on it.....They are too thick skinned to sun dry on chicken wire,like some peppers....And then smoke........The dehydrater/smoker would be perfect.......I have not taken mine all the way in my CS yet,but use it to finish.......I stem and cut mine in half,put in single layers on pizza screens that have been Pam sprayed and place on all my oven racks......I set it at 125� and leave overnight.....Those of you that have convection ovens can use that....You can also leave the oven door cracked just slightly or try it closed....In the morning they should be shriveled and pretty dry to the touch......I then place in the CS with a couple oz. of pecan and set it to 150�.....I open it at around 2 hours,check the smoke,handle a few of them,and eat a piece from each rack......If they need more smoke and more drying,I add another ounce of wood and close back up.....I check again in 2hrs..and do the same.......I use only reds,full and firm.....They have a lot of moisture and sugar.....Depending on how much you dried them in the first stage,will dictate how long in the cookshack.....Your use for them will dictate how much to dry them......Grinding to a powder means more drying.......Making sauces[ an adobo, basically means a sauce of your choice] doesn't require as much.....You can FS them and they will last forever in the freezer or even the refrigerator.....I FS mine in pint widemouth jars and leave them in the pantry. Cool
Hey,i2.....Fresh is almost always best,but there is such a wide range that you just have to sample.

Peppers will vary by strain,by the climate ,by the soil, and even on the same bush. Eeker They also pick green, just like they do tomatoes, to save the crop and to ship....Peppers picked green will never ripen past that stage.

I have ceased trying to propagate the absolute hottest of peppers and try to find the flavors and combinations that work well.

But,it sure is a pain to have a large recipe worked up and the store bought peppers have neither heat nor flavor. Mad
Hey,Joe Guy......I grew them last year and we had too hot nights and hot days early and they did not set well...I harvested some and they were hot enough. Big Grin

I had some frozen orange scotch bonnets that the Jamaicans grow here in pots and they do better in our climate....I germinated the seeds from them and raised the early crop.

They have a fruity,apricot,smokey like flavor that goes well with our tropical fruits.

I think high 80�'s daytime and 70�'s night is better on most Habs....Hatch ,NM can grow any peppers well.
LOVE those Bonnets - I just can't get 'em anywhere here... Jerk pork just isn't the same without those... Frowner

My mother-in-law and sister-in-law just returned from NM, and couldn't wait to tell me all about the stuff they saw in Hatch...but all they brought back was a mini ristra. LOL
Hey,i2....About those Publix Jalapenos...There is a strain that has been developed for the supermarket trade called Tams....They supposely have increased flavor and very little heat. Confused

If you are buying green,look for 1 to 1.5 inch long bullets with sun striations running the length of them....These should be hot and flavorful. Cool
well, if we're going to start worrying about who gets credit.

I do, after all, I have the "edit" button

he,he,he Razzer

Tom's been our pepper expert for a while, you're our fish person, are you trying to do everything?

Smokin'

When we do the new 101's, don't worry, we'll give everyone credit. It's only fair, after all, it's a Cookshack Nation!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.