Skip to main content

This isn't a recipe,but a couple of thoughts-so Smokin' can decide if it should wind up in the recipe file.

We like to smoke hardboiled eggs, for deviled eggs, to serve with a non smoked meal.

They really stand out.

We also like some chopped smokey bacon or chopped smoked shrimp in the yolk mixture.

We have found that by getting the smoker smoking, attempting to stabalize the cooker temp. down around 190�,and only leaving them in the cooker about 30 minutes we get good smoke flavor,good smoke penetration and a tender egg white.

Overcooking the eggs can turn the white quite rubbery.

We also learned a trick from Stuart,about taking the bitterness out of some mesquite cooks.

Start the empty cooker smoking and let it go,until the yellowish smoke turns white or clear.

Then, add you eggs or seafood.

Below is one of the winners from the latest contest,as a guide.

Mike Sevier's Smoked Deviled Eggs brightened up our day. Fix these for your next potluck and watch the smiles. Mike wins a $100 Cookshack gift certificate.

SMOKED DEVILED EGGS

6 eggs
� tsp. cumin
1 Tbs. cilantro, fine mince
3 Tbs. bread and butter pickles, diced
� tsp. salt
Mayonnaise to bind the mixture, about 3 Tbs.

In a 3 quart saucepan, cover the eggs with 1� cold water, bring to a full boil, cover, and turn off the heat. Let sit for 12 minutes, remove eggs and plunge into ice cold water to cool. (Really cold water makes peeling easier. Key to boiling eggs, lots of water and a roomy pan.)

When eggs are cool enough to handle, remove the shell. Tap the egg on a hard surface to start a crack then roll the egg around using light hand pressure to fracture the shell all over. You see how it works once you start. The big end is where the air gap is, easiest to start peeling there.

Put the boiled/peeled egg in the smoker. Spray Cookshack Seafood Grill or equivalent with non-stick spray. Smoke-cook for 45 minutes at 225 degrees F. Remove from smoker.

Halve the eggs and scoop out the yolks to a mixing bowl. Break them up with the back of a fork. Blend the yolks with cumin, cilantro, diced bread and butter pickles, and salt. Toss lightly with mayonnaise. Divide the filling into the egg halves, grind on some whole black pepper, and chill.

You may substitute sweet pickle relish for the bread and butter pickles.

S
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

New to the forum and after having made several batches of smoked kingfish with my new smokette, I tried out this recipe. All I can say is wow! Never thought about smoking eggs but they came out so good we made several batches. Just can't figure out how to peel the eggs though. Anyway, an interesting twist on the yolk filling is to use Vidalia onion relish (available at Publix), some garlic powder, salt and pepper. The Vidalia relish really goes well with the smoked flavor. Going to try and smoke my first pork butt this weekend. Wish me luck. Cool
A trick that helps a "little" for helping the shells to break is to add white vinegar to your water when boiling. I add about 4 ounces per pot of water. I saw this on a cooking show and sometimes my egg shells break very well and sometimes it doesn't seem to make as much difference. But it is worth trying.
Thanks for the tips everyone. Heard about the vinager trick but have not tried it yet. I did the ice water thing, but the shell on some still stuck to the egg. Not the big of a deal, guess its like everything else, the more you do it the easier it gets. These deviled eggs were a hit for new years. Caught most people by surprise, and yes the went fast.
To get eggs to peel easily, after they are cooked pour off hot water, rattle the eggs around in the pan until shells are broken. Refill the pan with very cooled water and let set for a couple of hours and if refrigated longer.

Hold eggs under cooled running water and they peel right off.

Charlie Wink
Tom...I tried Mike's recipe but my taste buds found the salt (and cumin) way too strong for only six eggs....

Apart from that, I used alder shavings, got them smoking at 250, turned down the Smokette to 140, and put in the eggs for 45 min..

They turned out great.
Nice color and nice mild smoke flavor

I put a few in some pickle brine - I'll let you know how they turned out.
Might be a whole new taste sensation - you never know :-)
A neighbor told me about Smoked Eggs when she found out I had a smoker. I never heard of them before. Her technique was to boil the eggs only for 5-6 minutes, then cool them immediately and peel, then they would go into the smoker.
I gave it a try today since I was smoking some almonds. I used a mild wood combination of Alder and Apple, set the smoker at 200° for about 2 1/2 hrs. Absolutely fantastic! If you haven't tried them, it's something you'll want to do. Next time I smoke some, I'll try making Toms Deviled eggs!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_8101Web
Last edited by fireguy 2
quote:
Originally posted by JC123:
arnie what is the reason for the acid wash ?

JC123 - I don't want to answer for Arnie, but my guess is that the acetic acid in the vinegar assists in breaking down the calcium carbonate in the egg shell, which is not very permeable. Thus, greater smoke penetration.

I would never have thought of using a vinegar wash on a raw egg shell prior to smoking, but when I saw Arnie's post it reminded me of an experiment that my daughter did for a grammar school chemistry class a few years ago. She put a raw egg in a small jar then covered it with distilled vinegar. In a day or so, the yolk had completely dissolved, but the egg was intact in it's membrane.

I tried smoking raw eggs once with lousy results. Nearly zero smoke taste, and hard as hell to peel. Now, with Arnie's tip, I think I'll revisit the subject.
Ok, I'm confused... (not a hard thing to do) The recipe at the top of this thread says to boil the eggs.

quote:
When eggs are cool enough to handle, remove the shell. Tap the egg on a hard surface to start a crack then roll the egg around using light hand pressure to fracture the shell all over. You see how it works once you start. The big end is where the air gap is, easiest to start peeling there.

Put the boiled/peeled egg in the smoker.

Yet now you're talking cooking the eggs in the smoker with the vinegar wash to help smoke penetration.

I think I like peeling the eggs first, then smoking. Which way is best?
Qnorth, I think there are a lot of different ways to do these. I've tried both soft boiling them, then peeling and finishing in the smoker,...and simply smoking in the shell from start to finish.
So far I prefer the soft boil peel method because the smoke flavor is much more pronounced.

That said, I think it's a matter of personal preference. Eggs are cheap, Experiment!
Yep. What Fire Guy said. I've done them both ways and I think they get rubbery if they are boiled first, but thats just me. Try them both ways to see what you like. It'll only cost a couple of bucks and that is a cheap experiment. You may find you don't like them smoked either way, but you'll never know if you don't try. Let us know what you deside
too keep the eggs from over cooking and getting the rubber effect the temp needs to be kept low. I've done eggs for over 5 hours with smoker set at 180 and they didn't get rubbery. Smoke penetration in fresh eggs also depends on quality of shell; the standard cheap store brands seem to have poor quality shell that take smoke better and I've done free range eggs that have better shells that hardly get any smoke. The problem I see is the green edge around the yolk; haven't been able to completely eliminate that. Maybe I need to try the vinegar soak to help 'degrade' the shell. Or try by first soft boiling and then cracking the shell, then smoking at really low temp like a cold smoke.
My boiled/smoked were just a bit rubbery, but only the outer skin, the insides were as tender as a regular boiled egg. To both my wife and I, that tiny bit of rubbery texture on the outside added to the uniqueness of the Smoked Egg and actually held most of the smoke flavor.
I'm staining the deck this week so not much time to smoke, but when I'm done I plan to make the smoked deviled eggs, they sound really yummy!
Okay, here goes. Two days ago I tried the deviled egg recipe in my 020 with about 4 oz of wood (1/2 alder & 1/2 apple). Even though I got the heat up to 240-250 I got no smoke at all. The wood in the box was barely charred. After 30-45 mins I turned down the temp to 190 and put the hard-boiled eggs(14 eggs)in anyway and took them out after 30 mins. They had a very slight smoke aroma to them so I went ahead and made them according to the recipe. They turned out great. I added a TBSP of jalapeno ranch salad dressing that gave them a nice kick. Now the weird part. After making the eggs I put 4 oz. apple wood in the box and smoked 4 slabs of BB ribs at 225* and had tons of smoke and only ashes left in the box. Any ideas on why I got no smoke at 240-250* with alder/apple and plenty of smoke with 4 oz apple at 225*? Thanks for any help.
I pretty much followed the recipe at the beginning of the thread with the following changes. I cut the salt back by about 1/3. Instead of the butter pickels, I used home made sweet pickels/onions. When my dad cans sweet pickels he fills the jar with about 1/3 vidalia onions. I used a food processor to mince the pickles and onions. I then added a little pickle juice to get the flavor I was looking for.
Ive smoked hundreds of eggs and never heard of the vinegar/water bath. What ratio do you make the bath 50/50? When I make my smoked deviled eggs I mix the yoke with spicy brown horseradish mustard and McIllhenney Smoked Chipoltle Tabasco Sauce and they are the bomb especially with cold beer....

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.