Skip to main content

Just wanted to share my thoughts on how the duck turned out today.
I searched the recipes, and the poultry section, not alot on duck so this is what I did.

Rubbed the duck with olive oil, and then covered with cookshack spicy chicken rub. ( I should have probably let it sit over night, but didn't have time yesterday. Let it sit for a couple hours )
Set the smoker for 250, used one small bag of cherry pellets from BBQ'ers delight, Candy's. Looked for an internal temp. of 180, on the thigh.

After 2 1/2 hours she hit 180.

GLAZE:

This is what turned out really nice. I found a recipe for this glaze in the where there's smoke, there's flavor book.
Didn't have all the marmalades that they called for so I used:

1 small jar of orange marmalade
1 small jar of pineapple marmalade
an equal amount of honey (1 of the same small jar)
1/4 cup of lemon juice
small section of fresh ginger root, cut up very fine
1 tsp of tabasco
I mixed this all together, brought to a boil and then simmered for about 15 minutes.

After I took the duck out of the smoker, I cut it in half. Had the oven preheated to 400. Covered the duck with the glaze and then popped it in the oven to crisp up a bit.

Overall it turned out very very nice. Had a very good smoke flavor, maybe just a touch too much. The glaze was really nice, it could be used with other poultry dishes as well. My wife's family really enjoyed it, and we eat a lot of duck in Taiwan. Mainly the "Peking Duck" style. It was something that definitely could sell here in Taiwan.
Best regards to everyone. Steve.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Willy, the duck here is farm raised. It wasn't really fatty at all. I can't really compare to back home, or to wild duck for that matter, never had one before.
Duck farming here is as big as chicken farming.
You can pick up a duck anywhere from the morning market to the local super market. My cost for a whole duck, ready to go was about 5.25 $ US.
Sorry I couldn't really help you on the fatty issue.
Steve.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.