Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

We smoked about 50-60 jalapeno's cut in half, stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in about 1/4 piece of bacon for 1 hour at 175. When we were ready to serve them we put them in a 375 oven for about 15 min to crisp up the bacon and reheat them. They were the first appetizer to be finished!
Andi, some of the cream cheese does ooze out, but not much. I usually chop up some pulled pork or brisket, etc. and mix it in with the cream cheese. I usually go for the biggest jalapenos I can buy. An 8 ounce pack of cream cheese mixed with about 1/2+ cup of chopped meat will fill about 6 of the big jalapenos. Here's the drill
Cut the jalapenos in half
Remove the seeds and veins
Stuff both halves
Put the halves back together
Wrap with bacon.
Skewer with toothpicks
Cook at about 225 until the bacon browns
If you're having company, make a gross. These things, called poetically, Atomic Buffalo Turds, are usually the first things eaten. Good luck!
Here is a nice variation on these treats. The sausage wrapping eliminates any cheese leaking out.

These are VERY big, so a few go a long way!

Armadillo Eggs

10 Jalapeno pepper
STUFFING
1/2 package Cream cheese
1/2 cup Cheese, Sharp cheddar
1/2 cup Cheese, Mozzarella
1/8 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Chili powder
BREADING
1/2 pound Pork sausage, raw
1/2 pound Cheese, Sharp cheddar
1 1/2 cups Bisquick
2 Egg(s)
1 package Shake & Bake, Pork

PREPARATION:
Split the Jalaps in half lengthwise and de-seed.

Mix together the STUFFING ingredients and pack the Jalaps. Put the Jalaps back together.

Mix the Bisquick, sausage and Cheddar cheese.

Take this mixture and form around a Jalap. Use enough to cover completely.

Beat the eggs.

Dip the covered jalaps in the egg and then roll in the Shake and Bake.

Cook at 350 for 25 minutes. You can also grill/smoke these, turning a couple times.
How about fried?? Cut japs in half and devein, and to each half add a stuffing of cream cheese, cheddar and bread crumbs to "round off" the missing half (make sense?) Then into egg wash and rolled in bread crumbs, then into the fryer for a few minutes. With the wash and crumb coating, the cheese usually doesn't ooze out. I've also smoked the jap halves in the smokette for a while before completing the procedure, and that does add some smoke to the end product.
Stogie, thanks for the Armadillo eggs recipe. I was just ready to run a search on Ray Basso's forum. So, you saved me some time and trouble.
My wife, not a real BBQ freak, calls Atomic Buffalo Turds her favorite way of having pulled pork. I have to admit, that is a great way of having pulled pork.
Sorry to hear about your poor brisket showing. Better luck next time.
I am waiting for the wife to call back about which wood. I think it was hickory, if not then mesquite. By cooking at 175, checking at 30 min then another 30 min we had no oozing of cheese. We actually made these a couple of days in advance then put them in the oven to reheat/crisp up the bacon, still no ooze. Smiler
Just wanted to add something we like to do. The best way we have found to get the seeds and membranes out is to use a grapefruit spoon. We have these a lot at football game parties and they are the favored food. It is easy to turn out a whole load of them using the grapefruit spoon. Good to get an assembly line going, so others can have the fun (appreciation!) of what goes into this appetizer.
and of course, football in 4 weeks!!!
Okay, Ret! These are getting made at my Husbands B-Day party in a couple of day! Got a 3lb. block of Raskas. Cost-Co stuff, better than Philly.

I didn't think to put the halves together. And, I'd better call and order some fresh Japs. Whoo-whoo! These sound wonderful! I'll have some smoked turkey thigh leftover, if I feel the need. Also, I have a recipe for Torpedoes that uses Smoked Salmon in the cream cheese. Guess who has Smoked Salmon? Me me me! The boyz are gonna die for these! Better fill the 50.... Razzer
The wife says mesquite was used. We also cut them right in half and left the stems on, this may keep the cheese in and gives you a built in handle. I would think that putting them back together may result in some oozing because one side would be facing down. Roll Eyes Putting them in the oven also crisps up the pepper just a bit. The smaller japs were sweeter, the bigger hotter. It was entertaining watching people bite the small ones then go back for a bigger one and take it in one bite. Oh well, plenty of homebrew to move the burn down the pipes. Big Grin
Hey,Andi.

Pienes is talking 'bout? Smokin' Coyote's ABTs I think.

Uncleearnie uses these, as a side, alot at competitions,when he gets away from the restaurant.

The easy way is to slit them from stem to tip on one side and use your finger to remove what comes out easy.

Gloves and spoons are nice,but eventually ya give up on them.
Ya eat faster than ya make.

Try washin' your paws well with a few TBSP chlorox in warm water.

Don't rub your eyes ,or real delicate stuff for awhile.
Wink
Oh, tell me about the gloves thing! When I was grinding up smoked and dried peppers, I assumed all heat was basically gone. WRONG! I had to use a particle mask and safety glasses because of the dust. Sneeze and watery eye city! It lasted a l-o-n-g time, too.

I ordered me some fresh Japs. I am excited about this new treat! I think I'll just crisp them up on Precious. There is a wonderful device out on the market, cast iron, I think, that has holes for stuffed jalepenos. Holds them upright. Saw a pic somewhere on the web...it's the perfect tool for this job. Big Grin
Wow, Tom! That Turd picture sets me all aquiver! I'm hanging out at Wily's place!

If I use Smoked Salmon in mine, will they still be called Turds? HA! Big Grin

I'm gonna do his Smoked Cabbage along with the Turkey. What do you think about that as a condiment for Smoked Turkey and Ham Subs? Ya think? Maybe mix it with a wee bit of mayo, spicy brown, and a touch of horseradish?
Razzer
Gotcha 5X5 on the retained heat, Tom. Burned my mouth on Poppers myself more than once. I plan to keep them warm on my electric griddle turned low.

I plan to coat the bacon on a few of them with brown sugar, too. It makes a nice sweet to go with the hot. Stays crispy, too.

Luckily, just in time, I have a plethora of different types of Cherry Tomatoes ripening. I'm going to fill them with cream cheese and olive paste, wrap with bacon, and do them about half as long as the Japs. Fabulous horses ovaries! Razzer
Mornin',d9.

If you like your peppers a little more crunchy,you might bring your cook time down closer to 45 mins.

You can pre- cook your bacon strips anywhere from 15 -60 secs. in the microwave to get them started.

You might try several strips at 5 sec. increments and see what time works on your peppers.

Hope this helps a little.
I made many fillings in my Batch O'Turds. One was with Smoked Salmon (natch)cream cheese and more Japs. I wrapped them with Turkey Bacon! It's leaner and meaner in the smokehouse (CS) and didn't need much crispin' on Precious. All things got done at once.

You guys are such Porkheads! LOL!

Don't try this one...Russ got a Wild Hair and did a few with Smoked Oysters. Not that special. Big Grin

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.