Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I just did 4 7.5 lb'ers of Boston Butt ing hr Smokette, pulled them this morning and I am ready to make a ton of spread.

Funny cook this time. Hit 170 in about 5 hours. Then 186 7 hours later. By far the fastest to the plateau and the longest in the plateau.

I figured the fast to it was due to the smaller bone but it cooked as long as the shank

WEDDING is Sunday. Making a big BBQ on sat for some of the FAM that haven't tasted it before since they were out of state. I have another 25lbs of butt in the smoker, 8 racks of ribs to do on Sat and tomorrow is Baked beans and brisket. JUst made some of smokin's baste sauce with cloves. Put the pan in the sink to cool and came back, dumped the pan down the drain then realized it wasn't dirty, that was the basting sauce...uggggggggggggggg

Confused
thanks for the recipe tom.... ill let you know how it turns out. by the way, i tried okies vinegar mop today on butts. taste real good, but i lost the smoke flavor when i finished the butts in foil as reccomended in 101..... yet it was the most tender meat i have ever seen. just give the bone a little tug, and came free from the butt. the whole thing just fell apart.
The last of your post and mine should probably be a new topic,so it doesn't get completely lost.

Smokin' may move them,if he sees the need.

One thing you might try is to remove from the foil,put back in the cooker, and hit with some smoke for about 30 mins.

This will firm up the butt a little,dry up the bark some,and give you a little exterior smoke.

I have posted some answers to questions posed to Rick Salmon,a comp cook from KCMO.

This is another approach you might try.

Rick has also worked in a top team's restaurant and does some catering,etc.

This post came from Ray Basso's Bbq Forum

Posted by Salmon on August 31, 2003 at 09:43:49:

In Reply to: Do you foil butts? posted by john on August 31, 2003 at 09:31:03:

For the best end result (not if your behind schedule), do you foil your butts? *Yes

If so, why? *don't really know, I always have since day one.
What's the butts internal when you foil? *165 degrees
What's the butts internal when you take off the pit? 205 to 207 degrees.
How long do ya prefer to let 'em sit before pulling? * as 95% of my butts are for contest I generally let them set in a 1/2 steam pan covered with foil in a cooler for 3 to 4 hours.
Got any other butt tips up your sleeve you'd care to share? *trim the fat cap off.

1. I put one butt in a pan and foil over the top. I stick a probe through the foil into the side of the butt without the bone so I can get it as close to the cneter as possible. I guess that answers question #2 as well
7. I also make a cut by the bone and go down about 3 inches, I toss a lot of rub in this area, it's hard to explain, I'd really have to show you. Also when I to foil/steam pan, I add about 1/2 cup or so of Rick's Sinful Marinade.

I have always foiled except on rare occasion. I really can't compare but I do end up with a bark, don't know if is what you would be happy with. Also, when I say I foil, I put the butt in a half steam pan and cover with foil.

Rick

Rick�s Sinful Marinade

 12 oz. can of beer
 � cup cider vinegar
 � cup of water
 � cup olive oil
 � cup Worcestershire sauce
 2 tablespoons barbeque sauce
 1 tablespoon seasoned salt or rub.
 1 tablespoon celery seed
 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Mix the ingredients and baste as necessary, or add when wrapping at about 165*.
I just let it cook in the juices. Mine always turn out very moist.

Rick

Rick
yeeehaw, we love to change subjects! thanks tom... but i think i will stick to my newly revised version number 1148. when butts come out of smoker, i place in a pan fat side up then foil the pan, but i leave them on counter for an hour then put in fridge. this allows the meat to soak up the juices without loosing that precious smoke flavor.
"fire in the hole!"

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.