Skip to main content

Well, the inaugural smoke was a great success, so I was pretty eager to do the next thing.

After much deliberation, we finally settled on an old Sunday favorite,...meatloaf.

I've done smoked meatloafs before, so I know that they are good, and also pretty forgiving. (meaning you can kinda "screw some things up," and still have a good product!)

I used Karen's basic recipe, modified it for 2 lbs., and went for it! (Once again, as others have said on the forum, you can use ANY meatloaf recipe you like, it's gonna come out well!)

The meatloafs were packed into two small $3.99 foil loaf pans I picked up at the local grocery store. I let them sit overnight, covered, so the shape could "take."

This morning I cut 2 strips of foil to place on the grill rack that the loaves would sit on. (I split them into 1 lb. loaves each.)

Simply by turning over the loaves with a good solid "whack" onto the grill, they slid right out. (Be sure to spray non-stick cooking spray onto the insides of the loaf pans before packing in the meatloaf mixture.)

The thermometer was placed into the center of one of the loaves, and were placed on the middle rack. (I use a SM 008) One chunk of hickory into the smoke box (2 oz.,) and set it to 250.

Three and a half (3 1/2) hours later, the temperature probe read 170. I shut off the smoker, waited 5 minutes, and took them out. I took them inside, and waited another 5 minutes before slicing. (You may want to wait up to even 20-30 minutes before slicing,...if you can stand it!)

I decided not to do a glaze for it, but you could easily do one. There was plenty of flavor, so it really didn't need it.

The meatloaf was Awesome! Very juicy, not dried out, very flavorful, with a great smoked taste. This was SO easy to do! If you've never done one, you really should try it!

Here are the pics.

Let me know what ya'll think!

Xavier

/
/

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks GLH!

Your posts have been great!

Thanks for the encouragement,...it's just the pat on the back I needed to keep experimenting!

/
/

rmd1969

Go to www.cookshack.com/residential

At the top you'll see a link that says "Customer Service," click on this.

On the left of the page you'll see "Company Directory," click on this.

Scroll down to Karen. (4th one down)

At the end of her bio, you'll see her recipes.

Click on "Smoked Meatloaf."

Or if you don't wanna, here's the recipe: (!)

Karen's Smoked Meatloaf
Monday, December 10, 2007 - Karen Hoogendoorn
1-1/2 lbs of ground beef (85% lean)
1/2 package of crackers (crumbled)
1 egg
1/2 of chopped green pepper
1/2 of chopped white onion
2 tablespoons Cookshack Rib Rub
1 tablespoon Cookshack Spicy Chicken Rub
1 tablespoon Garlic Salt
1 cup milk
1-1/2 cups ketchup
2 tablespoon Heinz 57
Combine all ingredients and put into a Teflon loaf pan.

Smoke/cook at 225º for 2 hours and 15 minutes with 2 ounces of hickory wood.

Sides: Mash potatoes, organic corn, and oven dinner rolls.
/
/
Once again, virtually ANY recipe will work. For Karen's, I just left out the milk, and cut back on the ketchup. You don't want it too wet, or it won't hold it's shape.

I then just combined everything, and then proceeded with the steps as I outlined above.

Let us know how it comes out!

Xavier
Thank you all for the compliments and encouragement!

I went out yesterday to our local Logan's that just opened up, and one of the people that I went with tried their Grilled Meatloaf. Though it was fine, what was produced out of the Cookshack was SO much better! My aunt was actually the one that tried it, and when we came back to my place for some coffee, I gave her a small taste of my smoked meatloaf, and yep, she said it was no contest. The Cookshack loaf was head and shoulders over the Logan's loaf!

I too have smoked a lot of meatloafs, and this technique of using this open foil method seems to me to cook the most evenly, and get the most even smoke.

Thanks again to all!

Good Qin'!!

Xavier

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.