Skip to main content

Congratulations to Kelly Daniels, creator of the winner of our Gourmet Smoked Foods Contest! Kelly will receive a Cookshack Smokette Model 008 for her efforts.

SAVORY SMOKED MOZZARELLA AND TOMATO CHEESE CAKE

� lb. seasoned Italian herbed croutons (homemade or purchased), ground fine in food processor
� lb. melted salted butter
1 � lbs. smoked mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 � lbs. cream cheese
2 lbs. smoked diced tomatoes, peeled and seeded
1 lb. smoked sweet onion, small dice
3 oz. cornstarch
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. cracked black pepper
� cup fresh basil, minced
� cup fresh chives, minced
5 each whole eggs
3 each egg yolks

Yield: One 12” or four 4” individual cakes.

Combine the finely ground croutons and the melted butter. Divide the crouton mixture between the spring form pans and press evenly over the bottom and sides of the pans. Set aside and continue.

Mix the cream cheese, mozzarella, salt, pepper, and cornstarch in a mixer and mix until completely smooth. Add the whole eggs and egg yolks and mix until incorporated. Add the tomatoes, onions, basil, and chives. Fold in lightly.

Divide the mixture between the crouton crust lined spring form pans. Bake at 350F until set, approximately 3 hours for 12” and 50 - 60 minutes for 4” pan. Cool before removing from spring form pan. Refrigerate until served.

Serve at room temperature as an appetizer with tomato coulis or fresh pesto.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My wife Kelly thanks Cookshack and all of the kind remarks! We are both looking forward to trying the new oo8 as soon as it arrives. We were just about to purchase one when Terry called on Friday. Kelly called me at work as soon as she got the call!! Very excited!!

She and I cook together all of the time and love to Q!

Terry, thank you a million!!

Scott & Kelly Big Grin
Lucky, the only stupid question is the one not asked Smiler

Those weights are before you smoke them. This recipe is really quite easy, you need to watch the consistency of the mixture as you add the tomatoes, make sure it stays some what thick as you put in the tomatoes or it will take longer to set up when you bake them. I cooked these twice and found that if I made sure that the batter was not to thin it set like it should when baked.

This cheese cake is Awesome!! Enjoy
The best way to make sure the tomatoes are not to wet, especially due to the fact that tomatoes have different moisture content around the country. After smoking the tomatoes, peeling, seeding, and dicing, place them in cheeseclothe or a papertowel and ring them out to remove excess moisture.

Scott & Kelly Smiler
Sorry , I just saw this thread or I would have posted the correct amounts earlier. Yes, the recipe comes from the "Still Smokin'" Cookbook. And the amounts are:
3/4 pound herb-seasoned croutons, finely ground
1/4 pound (1 stick) butter, melted
1 1/2 pounds cream cheese
1 1/2 pounds smoked mozzarella, shredded
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon coarsley ground black pepper
1/3 cup cornstarch
5 eggs plus 3 eggs yolks
2 pounds smoked tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
1 smoked sweet onion, finely diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped chives

Hope that helps!
Here is the complete printable receipe (corrected):

SAVORY SMOKED MOZZARELLA AND TOMATO CHEESE CAKE

¾ lb. seasoned Italian herbed croutons (homemade or purchased), ground fine in food processor
¼ lb. melted salted butter
1 ½ lbs. smoked mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 ½ lbs. cream cheese
2 lbs. smoked diced tomatoes, peeled and seeded
1 smoked sweet onion, small dice
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. cracked black pepper
¼ cup fresh basil, minced
¼ cup fresh chives, minced
5 each whole eggs
3 each egg yolks

Yield: One 12" or four 4" individual cakes.

Combine the finely ground croutons and the melted butter. Divide the crouton mixture between the spring form pans and press evenly over the bottom and sides of the pans. Set aside and continue.

Mix the cream cheese, mozzarella, salt, pepper, and cornstarch in a mixer and mix until completely smooth. Add the whole eggs and egg yolks and mix until incorporated. Add the tomatoes, onions, basil, and chives. Fold in lightly.

Divide the mixture between the crouton crust lined spring form pans. Bake at 350F until set, approximately 3 hours for 12" and 50 - 60 minutes for 4" pan. Cool before removing from spring form pan. Refrigerate until served.

Serve at room temperature as an appetizer with tomato coulis or fresh pesto.

Magic Dragon
Justa Smoker
Smoker.edu

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.