Skip to main content

I picked up some of the Hi Mountain Wild River Trout Brine Mix at the store the other day. The Buckboard bacon Cure works so well I thought I'd try some fish. I took a 1lb rainbow trout filet, brined it in the brine mix overnight. I rinsed the filet with cold water and allowed it to dry uncovered for about 2 hours in the fridge. I hot smoked it in my smokette for 1.5 hours at 190* with 1oz of alder wood. It turned out great, just the right texture and flavor. We ended up making a trout spread with it that's out of this world! When I get time I'll post the recipe if anyone's interested.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi guys. Sorry it took so long to get this posted. I hope you like the recipe...

Smoked Fish Dip

8oz smoked trout or salmon
1/2 cup cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tbsp prepared horseradish
1 tbsp minced onion
1 tbsp minced parsley
1/2 lemon, juiced

Mix together the sour cream, cream cheese, and horseradish. Then add fish, onion, parsley and lemon juice. Serve on crackers, bagels, or as a veggie dip.
I've got a really simple smoked trout technique that I use for my seafood market. All I do is take butterflied rainbow trout and brine in an 80% solution for 15 min per pound. e.g. 5 lbs would brine for 75 minutes. After brining for the appropriate amount of time, I let it set in cold water for 10 minutes, change the water, and let it set for another 10 minutes. Next, I put on trays and rub in dark brown sugar so it "melts" on the fish. I leave it in the fridge overnight.
The next morning I'll take it out of the fridge and dry it off with paper towels. I smoke it for 1hr and 5 min at a temp of 190 F. It comes out perfect every time. No need to buy any special brine mixtures with this simple method.

Enjoy y'all

Afishionado
afishionado~

That does sound simple. I'm going to have to give it a try. I guess I have a couple of questions. First, after you've refridgerated the fish overnight you say to dry it off. Are you just patting it dry or are you wiping any of the excess sugar off? Secondly, could you be more specific about the 80% solution? I'm guessing you're referring to a salt to water solution? Most techniques I've come across say to brine the fish overnight, this would save some time.

Thanks for the info....
jeff

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.