Skip to main content

Okay, odd question.  I have a model SM025. I've had it for 10 years.  Probably my best outdoor kitchen appliance, have smoked hundreds and hundreds of times, all kinds.   The other day I was outside cleaning my kitchen area and I noticed the cover over my unit was quite warm, warmer than a black cover should be (it's a heavy cover).  I took the cover off and to my amazement, the smoker was on! I usually unplug it but sometimes I guess not.  I can't imagine accidentally turning it on while putting the cover over it after the last time I used it and turned it off.  Anyhow, I have no idea how long it was turned on, a couple of days I suppose.  The lengthy heat under the cover melted a portion of the controller top!  Except for cosmetics, the controller and performance don't seem to be affected.  A bit of Gorilla tape hides things.  Odd experience.  Thank goodness for Cookshack's robust build.  One day I might replace the controller.   So just wondering if this ever happened to anyone or if it was self-inflected.  I will definitely unplug from here on out.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My Cookshack (SM025)is currently sidelined with the controller issue (that is if you call a partly melted controller that when used maxes out at temp an issue).  When I get a chance I want to start another thread on the controller and repairs and get some opinions.  From everything I have been able to gather (and I do want to talk to Cookshack), the digital controller does seem to have some issues after years of service, mine is 10 years old with the RCA jack probe.  I'm currently using a basic CharBroil to get me through the winter.  I'm not sure what I'll do when it comes time for repairs.  A new controller and probe with shipping is going to run nearly $400!  Plus the joy of tearing it apart.   Knowing what I know now I might have opted for an analog model, though strangely the temperature range on those is more limited than the digital.  As much as I have loved using my Cookshack I might seriously look at a SmokinTex or Smoke It model.   

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.