Skip to main content

I've got a small corned beef flat puffin' away in the Smokette and had to use a long extension cord to reach it on my deck. I've read that will play havoc with the cooker temps so I have a probe monitoring it and am having temps fluctuating as high as 268* to lows of 197* with the thermostat set a 225*. I have an internal meat probe so It'll be done when its done, but should I be concerned about the temp swings? I plan to get a shorter cord for it so do you think that will solve it? @40* outside temp.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

swamprb - don't be concerned with the temp swing's. I gave up monitoring the oven temp in the Smokette long ago; means nothing. Monitor the internal temp; it will tell you what you need to know. Do be concerned with the flat going in at night if it's an overnight cook; the flat won't need that much time. Practice, take notes, and have fun! Good luck!
OK, It's been cooking for 4 hours, and the meat probe was hitting the fat pocket so I repositioned it and put it back in for a bit more. Planning to pull at 195*. I won't worry about the cooker temp, but was wondering if I was having a problem with the thermostat? Internal meat temps are all I'll monitor from now on. I'm used to WSM's BGE and BDS so I'm enjoying the ride! If its not the extension cord then what does cause the temp flucts?
To check the unit, use your probe when the smoker is empty. Put your probe through a ball of foil on a shelf or hanging without touching anything, through the smoke hole. Turn the thermostat up all the way and let it preheat for an hour, then write down the temp every 15 minutes for a couple of hours. If it averages at least 250*, it is fine.

You might want to test the probe in ice water and boiling water first.

Cool
Well the Corned Beef turned out excellent, other than the fact that it shrunk up to the size of a softball, it was only @2.5lbs raw, but the smell and flavor are fantastic! I had soaked it in water overnight, changed it 4x and rubbed with black pepper. A lot of work for a little hunk of meat but this is practice and I'm liking the results!
I used a heavy duty extension cord and will get a shorter one soon.
Brian
quote:
Originally posted by swamprb:
Well the Corned Beef turned out excellent, other than the fact that it shrunk up to the size of a softball, it was only @2.5lbs raw, but the smell and flavor are fantastic! I had soaked it in water overnight, changed it 4x and rubbed with black pepper. A lot of work for a little hunk of meat but this is practice and I'm liking the results!
I used a heavy duty extension cord and will get a shorter one soon.
Brian

Corn your own brisket and don't go with small flats, find a big packer and trim it down to your specs, I can get 6 to 8 lb flats this way.

Glad it worked for you, congrats!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.