Skip to main content

Okay my friends, I hope this Pastrami thing dies out quickly! 2-3 weeks ago I went to look at Sam's for a packer brisket and got to talk with a butcher,nice! Ater talking and looking at the brisket cooler, I wondered why thin flats on these packers?

This last weekend, nice 13lbs, but .30/lb higher. I hope that wasn't you guys that helped out?

No PROBLEM anyway, but I'll be smoking a nice Angus packer. Just trimmed on it and realized the small tuff fat pocket on my other flats was different this time. The fat was wider deeper and run into the vein inbetween the point and flat. Much wider this time???

Anybody smoking something this weekend they would like to comment about?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That sounds good CAL. I pulled off 25# of pulled pork(4 Boston Butts) last night. They were excellent. I will put on another 25# tonight about 11pm. Should be done by late morning. I am doing a couple of wedding receps. this month. I will finish curing some buckboard bacon tomorrow, will smoke on Sun. I am waiting on my cold smoke plate so I can try my hand at some Salmon. It is on back order, so don't know when it will get here. I just did my first cook last weekend with my new AQ. It is amazing to use, and is very user-friendly.

I must say the info. here has flattend out the old learnig curve by a bunch. I have done the pulled pork and some chicken. I will brine chicken next time.

Good weekend to ya Cal, and good Snokin to all.

Gary I.
Cal,
Well good buddy, just finished dinner. After I trimmed my 17.5 LB Butt,( no doubt a butt plus whatever is it's counterpart in the pig. MMM good. I figured it trimmed out about 14 lb's or so, cooked 18 hours. Sat in the cooler for about 3 hr's, just good stuff. Lots of leftovers with this guy. Made some cheesy potato's and serving sauce. Everybody was happy except the dogs! They were happy last night when I was trimming. Smiler
I'm smoking a turkey tomorrow (Saturday) for the family. They LOVE turkey smoked on my Amerique, especially after about 24 hours of brining.

Sunday, I'm smoking a brisket point for Pastrami and cooking the flat for Corned Beef. They have been brining for 9 days now. This will be my first attempt at Pastrami and Corned Beef.

Happy Easter!
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
2-3 weeks ago I went to look at Sam's for a packer brisket and got to talk with a butcher,nice! Ater talking and looking at the brisket cooler, I wondered why thin flats on these packers?

Earlier this week I discussed the same subject with Andy Groneman, head cook of Smoke on Wheels BBQ team. The Koreans are buying a HUGE amount of short ribs...bone-in and boneless. As a means of increasing the meat yield on short ribs, the packing plants are robbing Peter (briskets) to pay Paul (short ribs).
quote:
Originally posted by MaxQue:
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
2-3 weeks ago I went to look at Sam's for a packer brisket and got to talk with a butcher,nice! Ater talking and looking at the brisket cooler, I wondered why thin flats on these packers?

Earlier this week I discussed the same subject with Andy Groneman, head cook of Smoke on Wheels BBQ team. The Koreans are buying a HUGE amount of short ribs...bone-in and boneless. As a means of increasing the meat yield on short ribs, the packing plants are robbing Peter (briskets) to pay Paul (short ribs).

Thanks for the explanation. I've noticed the same thing. I went to 4 different stores yesterday searching for a couple nice packers and couldn't find a single one with any thickness on the flat. My search continues today.
Smoking some pork loin chops today. I brined them overnight in kosher salt, brown sugar, and white pepper. They should be plenty tender. I'll set the CS to 225 with 1 oz. of cherry wood. Going for internal temperature of 138 or so (thanks Pags).

And tomorrow I'll be smoking a couple of ribeyes. Again set to 225, but with hickory instead of apple. Once I get the internal temperature of 95, I'll finish them on a super hot gas grill, 2 minutes each side to get the char and bark.

Looks like a delicious weekend in store. Thanks, CS!! Big Grin
UPDATE!!!

Well I put that choice Angus brisket in at 1;00 yesterday afternoon at 180*, in my cs020, after 8hrs I cranked up the temp to 225*

7;00am this morning I cranked the temp up to 240*, checked with poke and prode at 195*, no luck.

Long story short it took to 203* before this brisket would surrender. Never thought I would ever take one out that high.

My,my the long journey on becoming a brisket cook is not a simple task, but when I had lunch today, I realized the rewards are worth all the efforts.

Thanks to the forum, I'm starting to get a little bite to my brisket. Work still needs done, but I'm on the right path.

Thanks again my friends and have a GOOD EASTER.
I cured (corned) a 8 lb CAB for 7 days, and I'm smoking it today for pastrami. I'll refrigerate and weight it overnight, and steam it tomorrow to finish. The pastrami will then be refrigerated, again with weights, on Sunday night. I'll bring it to room temp Monday evening, and steam it a bit to warm for sandwiches with a few friends while watching the NCAA basketball championship game.

Hot pastrami sandwiches, pastrami Reubens (Rachels), slaw, potato salad, sour pickles, homemade chopped liver, and lots of cold beer.

Go Butler!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.