Skip to main content

Just purchased a SM025 and I'm super excited to start my smoking journey.  I purchased a pork shoulder from Costco and plan to smoke it soon.  I have read the cookbook that came with my smoker and it says to use 4 oz of hickory wood.  the butt I bought is 14lbs.  So my question is do i need to keep adding wood during the smoke or just use the initial amount?  I expect this to be a 8-10 hr smoke so after 2 hrs the original wood will be ash.  I know you can over smoke so looking for some advise.  

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Follow the guidelines for wood amount.  That's about the amount I use  except I like a 50-50 mix of apple and cherry.  If there isn't enough smoke flavor, then you can add more wood initially next time.  You don't need to have smoke from wood for 8 hours. I have learned it is better to follow a recipe the first time so I have an idea on what the dish is supposed to taste like and then I can make changes the next time to fit my tastes.

These smokers seem to hold onto the smoke so if you use too much wood you will probably get a bitter flavor.  Also do a search for meat not absorbing smoke after it gets to 140 deg temp.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.