Skip to main content

I just smoked a Corned Beef Brisket that was packaged for boiling on Saint Pats day. I have a SM025. I set the temp to 225F.it was about 3 1./2 pounds. It took about 9 hrs to fully cook to 190F. It was little dry but flavor was great. I wrapped in foil about 6 hours in. Any suggestions so it won't be as dry next time.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My process is to make pastrami by smoking corned beef to about 165 IT, then steam until the IT is about 200 - 205. I have found that commercial corned beef is very lean so that just smoking it like you would a fresh brisket really dries it out. The pastrami steaming step seem to reserve some of the fat that remains after the lower temp smoke.

There 3 ways of steaming a smoked corn beef to make pastrami.   No.1 use a large steamer with a rack on a cake pan and steam it for 2 hrs, be sure to check water in pot.  No. 2 use a crockpot with a rack and a little water set to high for 3 hrs.  No. 3 use an electric pressure cooker with a rack and a little water for 1 hr and let it vent naturally.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.