Skip to main content

Well, this is my first post as I was just told about this site. Looks like a lot of great information. I bought a smokette a week ago and put about 20 pounds of salmon fillets in it this morning. I started things out at 180 degrees for the first hour and just took it down to 130 or so. Any ideas how long I should smoke this for? I've heard anywhere from 4 - 7 hours... I don't want to open the smoker to keep checking things either. Thanks for the info!

Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I found this recipe several years ago and have been using it ever since. Since getting my 009 a couple of months ago I've made 2 batches and have had great results.
Step 1: Prepare fish
Filet salmon, skin on, remove ALL bones.
Step 2: Uniform strips
Cut filets in to uniform strips ½-1" and 3-6 inches long or as long as your racks can handle. Key is uniform thickness.
Step 3: Brining
Soak in brine for 12-18 hrs. I use an Igloo type cooler and throw in a bunch of ice cubes and use something to put on top to hold the meat in the brine.
1 gallon water
1 Qt teriyaki or soy sauce
1 cup pickling salt
2lbs brown sugar
2 Tbsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp cayenne pepper
Step 4: Glazing
Lay the fish on cookie/drying racks, make sure they don't touch and put them in the fridge or a cold garage for about 12hrs. This method or many others will form a hard pellicle on the fish. You can sprinkle on certain spices during this if you like (cayenne, pepper etc)
Step 5: Smoking
100-120 degrees for 1-2 hrs
140 degrees for 2-4 hrs
175 degrees for 1-2 hrs
I use the longer times for thicker pieces or a large batch. I've never had a bad batch even with longer times than I should have used.
For my first batch in the cookshack I used 5 small chips (about quarter size and ¼ inch thick) of apple wood and for me it was a little to strong of smoke flavor so next time I'll probably try it with just 1 or 2 chips.
Finner - Scroll down about 10-15 posts, there is another salmon thread you should read. Lots of info there, but the 1 point I was trying to make in my post to Amy was, KIS.. Keep It Simple... in your cooking. Get a remote thermometer and pull the salmon out of the smoker once it hits 140-145 internal. Cant cook by time alone.

bob

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.