Skip to main content

I have a SM025 with cart, cover, seafood grate and sample spice kit scheduled to be shipped from the factory on 4/22 according to Karen. I am brand new to smoking food myself but I am an experienced veteran at eating it. I have tried smoking meats using a gas grill but the results were mixed at best.

I researched the internet extensively and was amazed that outside of price there was nary a negative comment or review about Cookshack products or services. Made in the USA carried alot of weight with me as well. Having an outstanding forum like this played a big role as well.

I have read all the beginner threads, SmokinOkies 101 tutorials and whole bunch of other stuff on this forum for the past month or so and gotten some rub and brining recipes from others so I am ready to give it a whirl. I'll start out easy with a butt and ribs and work my way up to chicken, turkeys and finally briskets and fish.

Right now, just saying hello but I am sure to have a bunch of questions once I embark on my new hobby!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome aboard Jim.

Your research will make the transition easy. Grills, propane or charcoal fired are great for quick seared foods but you can't beat a low-n-slow smoker for real barbecue. You bought the best and you'll be thrilled with the results.

Let us know how we may help you, should you have questions or needs.
Jim

Before I purchased my Cookshack Elite, I also did a lot of research. I found independent 3rd parties that rated the Cookshack very highly and often a best product. Price was mentioned but usually in "it's worth it" if you've got the bucks.

The only drawback with the Cookshack is attempting to smoke everything you can think of including items better cooked another way. You know things like pancakes, toast, pasta, flank steak, pies and cakes. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by bubbasz1:
Hey Jim,
Good to have another Michigander in the fold, we are kinda few and far between. Where in Michigan do you reside and you will love that 025.

I live in a small community called Waltz which is south of another small community that might show up on a map called New Boston. It is about 7 miles south of I94 and just west of I275. I have been to Redford a few times but I usually have to pack a lunch to get there.

How do you like smoking in the winter? Do you have any problems with it? My plan is to have the CS next to my house under an awning but can move it into a screened in porch in the winter.
Last edited by Former Member
What's up with you guys in Michigan? Bubba smokes in the garage in the winter,so he can watch TV and now Jim wants to put his CS in a enclosed porch.

Me,I have to shovel snow for 30 minutes before I can get my smoker out to use. I'd sure like to move up North...LOL!

Oh yeah, Congrats on the new smoker, you'll enjoy it for a lifetime.
I've been to New Boston, mind you not in probably 30 years but I've been there. Used to hang out there quite a bit as a teenager. In fact I remember Waltz road, can't say I can place it right now but used to do a lot of landscaping crap out there working for a friends dad. Used to hang out in a bar/pool haul in Sumpter I believe, anyways.
You can cook with the 025 all year round, no problems as long as you keep it dry.
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
What's up with you guys in Michigan? Bubba smokes in the garage in the winter,so he can watch TV and now Jim wants to put his CS in a enclosed porch.

Me,I have to shovel snow for 30 minutes before I can get my smoker out to use. I'd sure like to move up North...LOL!

Oh yeah, Congrats on the new smoker, you'll enjoy it for a lifetime.

Hell Cal, I smoke in the garage all year round, better smelling than a normal garage, and BTW I got my 32 inch LCD back in the garage since it warmed up over 32 degrees. The daughter didn't like that but hey that's life.
quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
My winter smoking is a lot easier on me. The highs usually get into the 50's or on bad days the 40's. If I want to shovel snow I'd have to drive for over an hour to get to the mountains. Some summer days can get pretty hot, but it's a dry heat (as in oven).

Pags,
Don't know if I would classify that as winter, I know you might call it that but just doesn't seem like it. Your talking borderline shorts and flip flops Smiler Winter is where the your lucky to get your smoker loaded before your fingers freeze up, and that is working fast not playing around. But in the end the smoker doesn't give a hoot. Smiler
quote:
How do you like smoking in the winter? Do you have any problems with it? My plan is to have the CS next to my house under an awning but can move it into a screened in porch in the winter.

You should have no problems putting it next to the house as long as the rain and snow stay away from the smoker. And even then, you can buy the cover for it to keep it dry when not smoking.

Here's a pic of my setup - - with an 055 on my back deck, but under the rafters and out of the snow. The temperature of 16 deg. shows at the top of my 'weather board' and the smoker is working outside the window.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • smoker
Welcome to the forum. I bought my Sm025 last November and walked down your same path. I chose it over the other options due to the quality and the customer service. It was broken out of the box as the dash had problems. Took basically 1 week and 2 shipments of parts and I was up and running. My dash was stupid, but Bill thought it might be the internal temp probe.

I have a stainless table from Sam's club that cost about $100 and is awesome. I also have the cookshack cover and that is all I cover it as it sits on my deck. When it was 10 degrees outside I had pork butts going and it chugged along perfectly. I just put up a 6x6 tent if it is going to just rain, or don't smoke if they call for storms.

This is one of the best investments I have had. I don't get the true smoke ring, but I don't care. I don't compete and it is all about the flavor. I do however, put 3 chunks of charcoal in for the smoke and it does change it a little.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.