Skip to main content

My bride has a retreat coming up this weekend with 24 attendees. One night they are having Steak and Baked Potatoes. Not sure what kind of steak but my question is this. Would it be possible and safe to SV the steaks ahead of time up to say 125, either freeze or refrigerate them below 40 and then open up and put on one of the two grills that will be available for them to finish up to their desired temp. They would remain in Vacuum Packages until time of finish. I think that would be 2 days. Thoughts from any experienced with this and any other thoughts or ideas. Someone has asked about smoking them up to 125, vacuum packing and either freezing or refrigerating below 40 as an option. Any and all input appreciated. Thanks

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have no experience with doing what you propose, but I see no food safety issues as long at the meat is refrigerated or frozen within a short time of cooking to what would be rare (125). Two days should not be a problem refrigerated or frozen, but I strongly suggest a trial run to see if texture and flavor hold up to reheating, which I personally doubt. Under refrigeration, I expect the steaks to bleed out and become very dry. For freezing I have no clue what might happen. For many people who love steak, 125 IS the desired final temperature.

Thanks Jay. They decided to do something different than steaks this time. I am going to try it on one steak at home just so I will know. Thanks for the food safety reassurance. I am going to put it in an ice bath to chill down quickly and then freeze. I am one of those "steak ruiners" in the eyes of many as me and the wife both like ours 

around 150-155. I have been able to put an awesome sear using my 22 in table top griddle after smoking them. Almost always super tender and great looking. I do vacuum package brisket all the time and keep frozen in serving size and they are always awesome reheated, same with chicken breast and salmon.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.