Skip to main content

I plan on making the brine and placing it in double wraped bags and puting it in fridge. Seems easier than a large container. Is it the same result? I plan to have the bag looser and not skin tight so liqiud will contact exterior of bird. What's a good answer?
Also plan to cook it to 165f (internal) makes sure its not pink. Is that a great idea or risk being dry?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Whether you use a large container or plastic bags, make sure your turkey is completely submerged in the brine. I've used 5 gallon pales in the past and am switching to oven roast bag for turkey day.

Dark meat is done at 175* and white is done at 160*. Make sure you hit both. With brining, your turkey will still be moist at these temperatures. Enjoy.
Thanks guys! I just will double probe the Turkey. Seems that getting 2 diff. readings of temp from same bird and 2 areas may be a challange. I am also going to use the garbage bag technique with the brine. Double wrap and place in fridge over night. I just bought the AQ! I have used the smaller one from my buddy several times. Did my first brisket in it. Came out awesome. I am going to write about the exp.
I've got 200 8# bone-in breasts soaking in six 55gal trash cans right now, with another 126 breasts waiting to take a bath when these come out tomorrow. Somehow I didn't think bags would work. Smiler

Here's Smokin's Holiday brine adjusted for 200 gallons:
200 gallons water, 100# salt, 10 gal soy, 45# white sugar, 45# brown sugar, 6 gal honey, 6 gal apple cider vinegar, 6 quarts black pepper, 6 quarts chopped garlic, 1# allspice, 4# Tenderquick.

With some adjustments, this could make an interesting start to some distilled spirits. Big Grin
Todd, whats up with the 2009 Turkey Fest. You need shirts,hats n posters.LOL! Thats a killer amount of bird. I only have two 10lbs Turkeys. I always fry them. This is my first smoke out. I really hope its better or at least as worthy.I thank all you guys for the input. This forum is bad ass! This was my first post and it was great to get all this help. I really mean it!
quote:
Originally posted by Boss10man:
Todd, whats up with the 2009 Turkey Fest. You need shirts,hats n posters.LOL! Thats a killer amount of bird. I only have two 10lbs Turkeys.

The Boy Scouts sold some birds this year! I've also got about 100 pork loins brining too. They come out great with the Holiday brine.

Good luck with your turkeys. I think smoked turkeys equal fried turkeys, but after I finish smoking Wednesday, it's frying for me on Thursday. I don't want to see anything smoked for at least a week.
quote:
Originally posted by Todd G.:
Here's Smokin's Holiday brine adjusted for 200 gallons:
200 gallons water, 100# salt, 10 gal soy, 45# white sugar, 45# brown sugar, 6 gal honey, 6 gal apple cider vinegar, 6 quarts black pepper, 6 quarts chopped garlic, 1# allspice, 4# Tenderquick.

Big Grin

Well I'm honored, just don't tell all the Local's it's from an Okie. Well, actually the Family DOES come from that region, we're cherokee and came over on the Trail of Tears.

Glad it works for you, tell them the recipe is from two local boys Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by DMassey:
quote:
I've got 200 8# bone-in breasts soaking in six 55gal trash cans right now, with another 126 breasts waiting to take a bath when these come out tomorrow. Somehow I didn't think bags would work.

Todd how do you keep the trash cans cooled to below 40 degrees?

I rented a walk in cooler. I was going to rent a refer truck, but I noticed a roadside produce stand near my house had a permanent walk in. They were closing at the end of October for the season, so I was able to rent it cheap.
My turkey's came out really good. Next time I will make the brine outside in giant pot, like in turkey fryer. The garbage bag trick worked like a champ! Easy clean up and easy to manage.I still dont really know the effect of maple syrup on outside of turkey. The skin, I knew would be crap. The brine did the trick. Next time I will cut slits in it and put slivers of Garlic clove in it. I cooked the Turkey to 175 and like I said it came out great.
The perfect brining bags I've found are the Ziplock Big Bags (10 gallon size) that Walmart carries. I place these in a pan , conyainer, or usually one of the slideout clear plastic fridge drawers (for storing lettuce & veggies), and they work perfectly. I use these same type bags to marinate briskets. Cleanup is easy - no messy pots to clean & bags are thick enough not to leak. Ziplocks are suitable for food contact & storage, whereas garbage bags are not. To get the stretch properties of trash bags companies much more plastcisers to give bags their stretching properties, not to mention the color agents needed to make the bags opaque. Ziplock bags provide a cleaner surface and thus more hygienic surface - trash bags do not.

Do not forget please to collect all plastics bags after cooking and throw it to a separate bin for plastic. Our environment is harmed and most of it is harmed because of plastic food waste. I cook as well as you and am collecting all my trash for one month and give it to junk removal phoenix. They helped me to recycle all of the plastic I collected to utilize. They can come directly to your house and they will get rid of all the trach that has been collected at your house. So, please make our environment cleaner and do collect all plastic and do not throw it into general food waste. Global warming is a major problem, so do help our world, please!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.