Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sounds to me like normal temp swings, especially for an empty smoker. If you set it to 200*, realize that the unit is electric and must swing both high and low to keep the average temp at 200*

When you load it with meat, the product absorbs heat and act as a sync - something to help hold the temp.

Hope this makes a little sense. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
I just finished seasoning my SM025.

I used a "Polder Dual Sensor Thermometer and Timer" in a ball of tinfoil to confirm the Cookshack's readings. All readings were always within a few degrees.

(elapsed start to 0+30)
It took about 30 minutes to get to the 200 I had set the cooker to.

(elapsed 0+30 to 1+15)
It stayed at 200 degrees (+/- 3) for about 45 minutes.

(elapsed 1+15 to 1+45)
Then the temperature started to climb very rapidly. It reached 300 within about 30 minutes of when it started to climb (above it's previously solid 200-ish).

(elapsed 1+55 to 3+00)
It eventually (10 more minutes) reached a high of about 310, then gradually got lower again (1 hour to get back down to 200).

(elapsed 3+00 to 5+00)
Once back to 200(ish), it again maintained a solid 200 (+/- 3) for over 2 hours, when I turned it off.

I was very impressed with the way the new unit maintained set point.

The temperature climb started to worry me. After reading this post, I'm a little less worried.

Mark.
Same happened to me, the first time I fired it up last night. I had a 1 1/2 pound filet of steelhead salmon on a plank smoking, and couldn't figure out what was going on. SO I kept turning it off for a while to cool it down. Took longer than expected to smoke, but the results were great.

Now I know to just leave the smoker alone.

Thanks for the forum and the info.
Don't turn it off... just open the door and let heat out if you must...

I don't know about the 045, but on the 20 series if you turn them off for log enough they will "reset" and go to the startup procedure which heats up for about 20 minutes almost always overshooting the set point (theoretically this is to get the wood burning etc) So you'd be in a vicious circle with never-ending swings.

Just open the door to dump heat if necessary.

Honestly, I still get a little touchy about temps though I've been using Cookshack smokers for about 20 years. I really have to tame that "type A" personality when it comes to these things... and I NEVER watch the temp the first 30-45 min. (thus removing the temptation to mess with it) Cookshack smokers cook great as long as I don't screw it up!

Nordy

Someone correct me if this info is wrong - re:restart etc.
Therms are a lot like computers in the way they simplify life-if they do.

As we think about all the stick burners that don't use them,cook great,and don't get ulcers. Big Grin

I remember in the early days, cooking with drbbq and he sent me back to check the cooker temp.[while all were having adult beverages and swapping tales}

It was a custom doublewide Fast Eddy and we had a worthless polder wired therm in it to check the temp.Briskets and butts were on at a big state championship.

I came running back from a couple hundred yards,with my ?knowledge? of therms and exclaimed it was swinging up and down to about 147*.What should we do? Eeker

drbbq asked "is the cooker running" and I said yes-but!

He said then get me another beverage and sit back down.

I did,and all was well-as experienced cooks learn.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.