Skip to main content

found this on another website. thought it would be helpful to those of us that can't find tenderquick. here it is:
Basic Dry Cure:
1 pound pickling salt
8 ounces granulated sugar
2 ounces pink salt (InstaCure #1; or DQ Powder; or Prague Powder #1; or Cure #1; or TCM)
Makes about 3 1/2 cups
Directions:
Combine all ingredients and mix well. It is important to mix this thoroughly to ensure that the pink salt and other ingredients are equally distributed.
I used a stand mixer with a paddle attachment (do not use the whisk). I mixed the ingredients at speed #2 for two minutes. Scraped the sides and mixed for two more minutes.
For meat up to four pounds measure 1 tablespoon per pound.
The actual measurement should be 2 ounces per 5 pounds of meat. Which comes to about 2.25 teaspoons per pound, but you don't have to be exact when using a dry cure.
Store in an air tight container away from sunlight, and it will last indefinitely.
If hard lumps form during storage discard and make a new batch. If the lumps fall apart easily with a little pressure the cure is still good to use.
To use the Basic Cure Mix as part of your favorite curing recipes, measure out the amount per pound that your need, then you can add your additional seasonings such as additional sugar, garlic, onions and/or herbs (do not add additional salt).
Additional Instructions/Notes:
If like the flavor of Turbinado sugar, and if you have some patients you can use that instead of granulated sugar. Turbinado sugar comes in large crystals, but in a dry cure you want all ingredients about the same size so that they evenly mix, and don't separate during storage. So you will need to grind the Turbinado sugar to white sugar granular size, without turning it into powder form. I have a small blade grinder and the best way I've found to do this is to pulse 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time until you get the right uniformity. There are about 8 tablespoons in 8 ounces of Turbinado sugar.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

TCM stands for "Tinted Cure Mix". They color it pink so you don't have your wife, mother-in-law, etc. mistake it for table salt. Instacure is a brand name, and Prague Powder #1 is what the old-time butchers call it. They all contain 6.25% Sodium Nitrite in a salt base with no sugar added.

A great source for these and other curing products is Allied Kenco down in Houston and you can order online. Check out www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/37_52

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.