Skip to main content

I've been a fan of Texas Rubs for years...

I have never figured how to deal with their caking problems over time.

My wife's favorite is the Grand Champion but I can't keep it from caking and if I re-grind it it becomes too fine....

I've tried to contact them but have never received an answer.....(not sure if they are still operating).

What is one to do?.....

Can someone suggest  a way to re hydrate or grind the rub so it is usable?

-OR- can someone suggest a replacement for the Grand Champion that is a s good or better???

TNX,

Lost in rub-land :-)

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I always thought that a Texas rub was basically salt and black pepper.  I did a brisket with this rub and wasn't impressed.  My Go to rub is from the book "Smoke and Spice", and is called Wild Willy's Number One-derful (  Wild Willy’s Number One-derful Rub | Cookstr.com ).  I also ran across a recipe for a salt, pepper, garlic, and onion rub that we really like: 

Seasoning Mixture - Salt, Pepper, Garlic, & Onion

Ingredients     

3 Tbsp Kosher Salt

1 Tbsp & 1 Tsp Black Pepper

2 Tsp Granulated Garlic

1 Tsp Granulated Onion

Directions

Add all ingredient to an air tight container (Tupperware works well) and shake vigorously. This spice will keep up to a month in a dry place.

The thing I like about mixing my own rubs is the ability to change them to suit what we like.  With the SPGO rub, we like pepper so I mix it 3 Tbsp of pepper.

Some time back I volunteered to help out CS with the forum. A lot of spam.  I catch quite a bit and get help from members who spot something like a link to a non-smoked product.  Most are games, some private businesses, etc and nearly all are in 'red'.  I reckon this was a simple error. There are some spammers who post a link that is lighter in color than the posted time of the last post.  Very faint.  Be careful with your cursor if there is an unusually large gap between the end of a post and the time above the red heart as this is where the nearly invisible spams hide.

Enjoy!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.