Skip to main content

I've been around the Cookshack forums for over 15 years...have met some great people and have gained an incredible amount of knowledge and advice here. SmokinOkie (Russ Garret) has been the man behind the curtain all these years, moderating THE BEST barbecue/smoking forums, bar none.

Most of us are up to speed on his recent decision to travel the country with his wife, Twila in their new motorhome. While we're very happy for the new adventures coming their way, Russ's departure as moderator and contributor will leave a large void. Given his 14,680+ posts and who knows how many thousands of hours invested in overseeing this gathering place, he's earned a well deserved rest.

Russ, thank you and God Speed on your new adventure. See you down the road. Many thanks for all your efforts.

Chris
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Those 101 videos sure got me going in the right direction and still good to go back to once in a while.

Thanks for all the help.

PS: Stay away from Western SD the first two weeks of August unless you want to navigate the motor home in an expected crowd of over 1 million bikers for the 75th Sturgis Rally. The Black Hills are a great place to visit after Labor Day when the crowds are gone.
Very well stated Chris.

Russ and the forum he so well coordinated changed me from a backyard griller hack to a semi successful cook.

Many thanks to Smokin for helping me and everyone.

I'm a little concerned about Cookshack finding a replacement. Don't think anyone can fill Smokin's shoes cause that's got to be dang near impossible.
quote:
Originally posted by MaxQ:
I've been around the Cookshack forums for over 15 years...have met some great people and have gained an incredible amount of knowledge and advice here. SmokinOkie (Russ Garret) has been the man behind the curtain all these years, moderating THE BEST barbecue/smoking forums, bar none.

Most of us are up to speed on his recent decision to travel the country with his wife, Twila in their new motorhome. While we're very happy for the new adventures coming their way, Russ's departure as moderator and contributor will leave a large void. Given his 14,680+ posts and who knows how many thousands of hours invested in overseeing this gathering place, he's earned a well deserved rest.

Russ, thank you and God Speed on your new adventure. See you down the road. Many thanks for all your efforts.

Chris

<as I raise my glass>...SALUTE to the well deserved walkabout, but don't forget where you belong my friend!
Well, thought I'd stop by. When did you ever think I'd go two weeks between posts?

First thanks for the kind words, I do appreciate them. I miss the forum but the new adventure is in full force now.

Let's see.

Sold the house... Oh wait, that took an extra week.
Visit Dr. He schedules procedure and removed 15 Kidney stones... Another two weeks later, we finally hit the road, all is well...

We left the HOUR the tornadoes hit an RV Park in OKC literally racing east ahead of the storm.

Spent some fabulous time with the family and new twins grand kids and had a special Mothers Day with my daughter and her two kids and my new daughter in law and their three.

That night sitting in the RV there was a tornado warning SW so we packed up and left that storm behind at 10pm

After almost three weeks of rain, rain, rain... We headed to Texas.

Got our new tags, new drivers licenses and we head to Galveston this weekend then South Padre Island for Memorial Day (we have family down there).

It's amazing. Everyday we wake up and start the day by saying, We are on vacation "

Follow us on FB at Garretts Gonewild

And no, I haven't eaten BBQ or cooked it once since we let.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.