Skip to main content

Well I was off today and was bored so I decided to take all the advice that I have been givin in my last 2 posts and apply them to 2 racks of St Louis trimmed ribs. Went to the store in the am and bought 2 racks of spareribs. Got home and trimmed them to St Louis style and rubbed them up. I didn't like my bark lately so I took Smokin's advice and changed rubs and man it was right on, perfect color and texture. I also took someone else's advice (sorry I forgot who) and made some cheap ribhooks from metal skewers. I have now cooked ribs in my 008 on the racks, in store bought rib racks and with the homemade ribhooks I made today and I will never cook another rack without hooks. Man, what a difference!!! These were the best I have cooked since I have bought the 008 and I just wanted to say thanks for all the help. Between the ease of the Cookshack smokers and the great help you get from this forum if you still cannot cook great Q its time to quit. Thanks again and the eats were awesome. I think I am addicted!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Every half rack was done the exact same way. They all had the same finish where when I put the ribs in the other ways they had spots that were different and were not quite as uniform. They all finished at the same time. The heat can hit every rack the same way. Sometimes I was getting different levels of doneness when I used the various racks. With the hooks the ribs also to me at least basted themselves better. Put the larger end at the top and smaller end at the bottom and they rendered and basted themselves real well. Cookshack says you cannot use rib racks with the 008 and 009 but that is not the case. Use your imagination and you can hang as many half racks as you can get in. I made my own but I will be buying a set real soon...I am a believer.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.