Skip to main content

It’s been many years since I’ve posted here. Are instructions (a link) posted that explain the new navigation?

I know Smokin Oakie retired, but I hope that his wisdom is still available.

My immediate question. How long should I smoke (per pound) a brined turkey breast? I am shooting for super juicy. Unless I learn better, plans are to smoke with apple wood until the internal temp hits 155F, then wrap in foil to reach the desired 160-165F.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Danny

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Danny, Welcome back to the new, not-so-improved forum. I'm not aware of any instructions or tutorial, and the layout is certainly not intuitive. The search bar at the top of the page can be helpful.

On the turkey breast, I'm not sure I can be much help. I've done them in the oven, but not smoked them. I'm pretty sure your time will depend on temperature, which you did not specify. For the oven, I do around 350 - 375, and a whole brined breast can take 2 - 2 1/2 hours or more to get to 165, which I recommend as the max to keep it from drying out. I usually cover the breast with foil until the last hour to keep moisture in, then unfoil it to let it brown. Not sure how that would work in your smoker. My SM-066 only goes to 325.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Thanks, Jay! I smoked the bone in breast in a Smokette @275F for a couple of hours. Odd thing is one side of the breast hit the target of 155F and other side was only 143F. Tented with foil, cover with towels and placed a n small cooler for 45 minutes. I used a Fireboard setup with a probe in each breast. I pull the meat and checked both sides again with a Thermapen, got the same readings. The turkey came out exactly as I wanted. Boths sides tasted great. Juicy was the goal and it didn’t disappoint.

As many have said, I miss the old format...

Danny

Last edited by danayo 2

I am limited to fridge space, so doing a wet brine is out.  I spatchcock  my turkeys, and do a 24 hour dry brine.  Basically you cut the backbone out, and lay the bird out flat.  Use what ever rub you like, and then let the bird sit uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours skin side up.  I usually do a layer of bell peppers, carrots, onions, and Potatoes in an aluminum disposable pan.  Place the bird on top of this, and then put in the smoker.  I do this at 300 degrees.  I look at when the IT hits 145 degrees, if the skin isn't getting brown and crispy, I stick it in the oven set on broil.  This doesn't take very long.  I pull it at 155 degrees IT, remove the bird, and tent it in foil.  Remove the veggies, and place them in bowl.  Use the dripping to make gravy.  Just remember that there is a 5 to 10 degree temp rise (depending on how hot you are smoking) while the meat rests.  Cook   the bird( or anything else) to the done temps, and your bird will be at 175, to 180 degrees IT. 

Thanks for the reply IdahoMike.

I solved the turkey stuffing dilemma. I wanted to smoke a Turkey Roulade (turkey roll). I deboned a turkey breast and removed and saved the skin for later. My favorite marinade for turkey and a lot of other meats is an overnight half & half brown sugar and soy sauce. After the meat is removed from the fridge and dried the breast is cold smoked for ~40 minutes with apple wood. After that the breast is stuffed with a ground pork dressing and the turkey is rolled up and the skin placed back on top. Then covered with cheese cloth and trust with string. Spread butter on top the cheese cloth and is placed in a preheated oven set to 425F for about 45 minutes. The oven temp is reduced to 350 and the trurkey roll is baked until the breast meat registers 155F. Remove and tent, then cover with a towel to hold the heat.

You get a smoked turkey roll without health risk associated with smoking meat that is stuffed.

Danny

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.