Skip to main content

Well, another Christmas dinner success. My Prime rib roast was well received. However, the critical cook that I am, I called it a huge failure on my part. The roast ended up medium well when I was shooting for rare to medium rare.

Without going into too much details, I pretty much identified some mistakes. Even though I was following the 101. One of the mistakes I think, was my probe insertion. I have a wireless with two probes. Since I smoked a whole 7 bone roast cut in half I had one probe in each roast. I inserted the probe all the way in to where the tip was touching the middle of the roast. I am thinking that this was one of my mistakes. The probe is monitoring the middle of the roast and therefor the temp I am shooting for will only register from the coldest part of the roast. The result was each end was overcooked. Put another way, only about 2 1" slices were medium from the middle of each roast.

So my question, where do you place your probe and how deep into the meat?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I guess the first thing is to make sure your thermometer is calibrated. And if you search here, you will find instructions. From my experience, place the tip about 1/2 way into the meat and being careful not to touch a bone. Next, pull the roast at 125 degrees and cover with foil for about 30 minutes. The roast will continue to rise in temp about 10 degrees right in the med rare zone. The ends will always be more well done, for the people who prefer a little more well done. The middle should be just that nice pink you are shooting for. Hope that helps.
Welcome to the world of BBQ, some say it's an ART!

You'll get many different answers, because not everyone will use the same process/technique.

Myself, I prefer to cook the roast real slow, which causes a more even heating. With that in mind, I too place the probe in the deepest area of the roast.

I then follow my by a hour-1.5 hr rest. It is then reverse seared for 10 minutes in an 550* oven.

This process all allows for a more evenly cooked roast, which will allow me to pull at 130* before the searing part.

Smokin' always said not to wait for the big dance to practice first. Razzer
One of the most important factors for even cooking is for the roast to be at room temp when you start. Out of the fridge the center will stay cold causing the outside to overcook/center to be raw. I did two in my FEC @226 until 130 and then into the FEPG @600 for 10 minutes rotating once. They rested one hour. PERFECT!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.