Skip to main content

Well, have some news to share. Given I've been running this forum for 17 years give or take, you've been around for all my adventures. Some published, some not.

Now it's time for the next adventure.

Time for a change and retire "full time" both my wife and I. A few years ago Mrs. Smokin had a pacemaker put in because she has a major heart issue, it's been a challenge but a lot has happened both good and bad. We want to have a little more fun at this point. We actually got good news from the Cardiologist this week so we want to keep the good times going.

We're going to hit the road full time in an RV. Yup, Tom and all in Florida we'll be coming that way in the fall Big Grin

I've seen 7 continents, 105 countries and think it's time to spend a little more seeing America. We're going to become official Full Time RV'ers.

Anyone have some advice on an RV? I've been researching for months now and it's time to pull the trigger. Yes, we'd prefer a diesel pusher as our first preference, late model, but part of the issue will be how much. Gas is okay as well. Looking for good value. Any comments, thoughts are welcome. Would love a deal on a good used one since the new ones lose so much value when you drive off the lot.

Feel free to email me (my email is in my profile).

I'd love to meet any of you, so if you're not following me on FB, please do as the adventures will be there. When we start traveling in late April, who knows where we are going, but we're going to ask people that live in different parts of the country for things to see and do.

Yup, house is sold and we're waiting for the official closing date in early April. The deck is going bye bye. Still sorting out all the BBQ stuff I have -- what to store, what to sell. I may sell some here as I can only take so much with us. You can't imagine how much stuff we have to downsize. Maybe you can if you've seen the deck:

"The Deck"

Not sure what else is ahead, but wanted to share with all of you, because although we've only met in the forum, I count many of you as friends.

This should be fun, hope you'll follow along for the ride.

Russ
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Awesome. Good for you two. Don't know if I'd be able to do that. Did have one of my bosses years ago do the exact same thing. She quit, sold everything and she and her husband bought an RV and traveled the US.

If you make it to the Chicago area, give me a buzz. I can cook you up some que... No wait, I'd probably make YOU cook ME up some que.

Nah, I'd just take you two out for a big ol' Chicago steak dinner.

Best of luck on your new adventures!
Smokin' - I have been in awe of the amount of work you put in here on this forum. Thanks for that! I have known a few couples like yourselves that have chosen to do the "full time RV" thing. It seems like they have used it like a "where do I want to spend the rest of my life?" tour. One couple found a paradise on the Olympic peninsula in WA. Another decided there was no place like home and went (almost) back to where they started. Whatever happens, nobody I know regretted it, and aside from the city driving and parking hassles with a big rig, said they'd never have done anything different. I hope you and the Mrs. enjoy and have great adventures! And great Q!
OMG!! You're giving up the house, deck and all the toys??? Congratulations! Sounds like a terrific adventure coming your way.

You might want to PM Coach on his RV experience. He spent many years on the road with his quartet and was the pilot of their rig, traveling much of the country.

New England in the fall is a must see. The Maine coast from Kennebunkport to Acadia Nat'l Park would be my choice. There are lovely towns and scenery along the way. Portland has a very robust restaurant - brew pub scene. To the north, Freeport (LL Bean), and then Rt 1 north to Boothbay Harbor, Camden, Rockland and Arcadia Park.

The White Mtns of New Hampshire offer great foliage views as does Rt 100 in Vermont as it meanders the Green Mountains. Of course there's always Woodstock and a meet and greet with Chef Max Big Grin

Peak colors tend to pop late September, early October. Be warned, VT and NH tend to be crowded but not having to deal with lodging along the way will make life easier. The Maine coast's prime season is July 4th thru labor Day but has an uptick in tourist traffic during foliage.

Here's to a great adventure. You must be on Cloud Nine.
quote:
Originally posted by MaxQ:
...New England in the fall is a must see...

DEFINITELY on the list, this year, so we'll be in touch.

Our thoughts are roughly NW US then North US, then NE US. Except for the big cities in the NE I've spent zero time there so we'll listen to everyone with ideas.

Think it's now time to ask the forum people for some ideas.

Yup, if I'm in your area, we can definitely do some Q.

How's that for a plan. Shoot, I use to plan attacks on the bad guys and built detailed plans. Our first decision is whether to heat South to Texas or West and that's about it.

Jay it's an interesting thought process you go through. Ours was pretty simple. We've looked at a couple of lakes for places we wanted to move to and just couldn't find the perfect place. So traveling we will go. It was a major decision as we are both pack rats. Just ask about my 20' BBQ trailer that's full of stuff.

If we find someplace different to retire then so be it. Who knows, we might find a spot on some highway with a perfect spot for a BBQ shack and we'll live in the RV.

At this point, we're tired of working and living for others, we want to live for ourselves now. We can afford it (just WILL have to put some stuff in storage). We can always get a house later.
Best wishes to you and the wife. Be sure to post up some of your travel plans ahead of time, as I would expect many of us would be pleased to offer up a complimentary lunch or dinner as your passing through town. Actually, if you planned your excursions perfectly, you might be able to tour the country and never actually pay for a meal. Heh.

Enjoy your time,
Rick
I'll definitely post where we are going and FB will be good, but I'll drop by here some. Of course I'm down for free food and alcohol Big Grin

First trip is to the East. Had twin Grandkids born last Friday, makes for #4 and #5 so we'll be going there for a while. They are still in Hospital NICU but doing great, should be going home within 2 weeks.
If I'm close I'm ALL for it. Shoot just for the price on my gas to get there. On the RV, not the hybrid of course.

If you think I love Q you should talk to me in person, you won't get me to shut up.

Mike, Idaho is definitely high on the list.

Our bucket RV list right now is:

1. Albuquerque Balloon Festival. Anyone have a balloon?
2. Key West for Christmas. Military base has Rv parking.
3. Mardi Gras/ New Orleans.
4. West Colorado, Utah, Idaho
5. NC/SC, Charleston Area
6. New England Area (see Chris aka Max)

One issue I'm working on. How to put an FEPG on the back and still trailer the Hybrid.
Last edited by Former Member
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
If I'm close I'm ALL for it. Shoot just for the price on my gas to get there. On the RV, not the hybrid of course.

One issue I'm working on. How to put an FEPG on the back and still trailer the Hybrid.

At 6 MPG that could get pricey! Wink

Maybe you could get CS to finance your "walkabout"?

Get rid of the hybrid and put the FEC in a van. It could be a rolling Q-Mobile. You could smoke while you drive. By the time the Health Department shows up, you'll be long gone!
quote:

If you think I love Q you should talk to me in person, you won't get me to shut up.

Mike, Idaho is definitely high on the list.

Our bucket RV list right now is:

1. Albuquerque Balloon Festival. Anyone have a balloon?
2. Key West for Christmas. Military base has Rv parking.
3. Mardi Gras/ New Orleans.
4. West Colorado, Utah, Idaho

Russ,

If you find yourself in the Raleigh/Durham NC area we are only 45 miles north of Durham in south central Virginia. Come on up and spend a night. I have an RV plugin in my shed as we spent 10 1/2 months living in a camping trailer while building our house.

I was JerBen before I forgot all my login information and changed handle.

Jerry
Absolutely.

Also on the list is NC/SC specifically Charleston area. While in the Air Force I spent a lot of time at that Navy Base (that's a story that takes at least 2 or 3 beers).

Of course if ANYONE else has places to add, let me know.

Smiler
Last edited by Former Member
quote:
Absolutely.

Also on the list is NC/SC specifically Charleston area. While in the Air Force I spent a lot of time at that Navy Base (that's a story that takes at least 2 or 3 beers).

Of course if ANYONE else has places to add, let me know.

Smiler

I look forward welcoming you and your wife to Charleston! PM me when you're headed this way for contact info. (if you don't have it already). You're probably tired of Mustard Sauce from that exchange a couple years ago! Wink

Joe M
quote:
Originally posted by Joe M:

I look forward welcoming you and your wife to Charleston! PM me when you're headed this way for contact info. (if you don't have it already). You're probably tired of Mustard Sauce from that exchange a couple years ago! Wink

Joe M

Shame on me for not mentioning that, no I'm NOT tired of them, I'll be getting some more.
quote:
Originally posted by Cook One:
Good Luck Russ. I wish I had the courage to cut the string.

Interesting way of putting it. If we ever catch up going through Alabama I'll tell you more over a beer.

This is one of those "gosh, I've always wanted to do that" moments and why NOT take the chance and the time.

The toughest part of this is the realization that BBQ won't be the driving force for my life.... what, really? Yup. Oh, I'll teach and cook and talk BBQ wherever we go and I'm still figuring out what to take for a cooker.

But in the end, why live life with regrets, saying "I wish I'd done it sooner."

The conditions and time were right and everything just seems to be falling into place (knock on wood) Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.