Skip to main content

I am new to electric smokers( AmeriQue ). On the other hand I have 3 years experiance on my propane/water smoker.After many cuts of pork...butts & ribs I have found that I have to foil in order to have a moist/falling off the bone result.I have cooked 3 racks of baby back ribs ( Sams Club ) and foiled them after 2.5 hours on the AmeriQue. They were great ( using Dizzy Pig rubs ). I am afraid to not foil. Past results tell me foil. Brisket......did an 8 pounder...foiled after 6 hours and added beef broth... great. I am just looking for answers...too foil or not too foil. The only meats I have foiled in the past are baby back Ris and pork loin/ picnic/shoulder/butt. I have found that the pork loin( tenderlion ) makes the best pulled BBQ and is easier to deal with as far as bone/fat( a differnt texture of meat ). I have never foiled poultry.

I to have had my AmeriQue shut off while using the probe. I have not contacted Cookshack yet concering the event.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Foil is considered the "F" when talking about Cookshack smokers Wink. Cookshack smokers provide a moist environment because they seal so well and there is not a lot of draft like you have with a stick burner. They were originally designed as a brisket cooker. Many consider "falling off the bone" ribs to be overcooked, although you can achieve that in a Cookshack smoker if you so desire. The only time I ever foil is after the cooking is done. I'll do a brisket to 195ºF internal, then foil with a half cup of both beef broth and black coffee and let it rest an hour before slicing. I personally think that pork loin or tenderloin is much too lean to provide good results as pulled pork. You need the fat and connective tissue to render out to provide the moist end result we are all trying to achieve. You can't get good bark on any piece of meat by foiling during the cooking/smoking process in a Cookshack smoker although it may be necessary in a propane/water or offset style smoker as they tend to dry out the meat. I'm sure many will chime in with more advice for you. Bottom line is you have to try smoking without foil and see if it suits your taste.
Mention the word foil in BBQ circles and it's worse than farting in church; everybody looks at you and gasps (not that I know first hand or anything).

But here's my viewpoint. Foil is a tool:

For beginners, it goes a long way to enlarge the "done" window, and provides a wider margin of error.

For the experts, it's still a tool used to tenderize, shorten cook times, hold food, prevent aliens from reading their minds and stealing their secrets (when worn as a hat), etc.

So when you mention foil and get that "What? You wear white after labor day??" reaction, realize it for what it is and use the tools available to make your meat the best that you can. As you get better, your use of different toos may change.

Disclaimer: the author does not condone farting in church or other public places.
Thank all of you who replied.

I value your opinions.

I can see that my experience with my propane/water smoker does not apply to my Amerique.

I guess I need to step out on a limb and start from scratch with my new toy and see what I can learn.

After all, it's all about the journey. Let the journey begin.

Any help and advice would be great ( cook times, temps { both cooker temps & internal meat temps}... for pork butts, baby back ribs, brisket ). This is a great forum and I think I can learn & contribute in time. I am dedicated ( hooked )to smoking.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.