Skip to main content

Here you go, just updated this in time for this year.

It's now in a PDF, not a webpage. I'll also be updating the photos this year as I cook my next one.

As always if it's confusing, you see corrections and of course, have questions, please post them here.

It's a long document and it wouldn't surprise me if I said one thing in one place and something different in another (or even in a post).

Keep me honest. Questions are allowed and I probably won't ban you if you do... Wink

Enjoy:

Russ

Turkey 101 PDF
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Very nicely done Smokin'. I'd say a person outta be able to smoke a turkey using this as his guide. I guess you know that I would have a question or at least a thought about it...right?

I've done turkeys both ways on the cheese cloth, that is using one after getting some smoke and using one at the start and taking it off 45 minutes or so before the end. I tend to think that I like the results of taking it off towards the end and hitting it with Pam spray.

While I lost more heat doing it this way, it seems that the breast doesn't heat up as fast or at least that's my thoughts. Oh well, you asked for it anyway!

THANKS for the guide, it was kind of you.
I touch on that briefly, it would take a couple of pages to really cover it.

I like to do mine later now, than starting out with it. I like the turkey to take on the smoker first and use the Cheese cloth to achieve the COLOR I want in the bird. Since I put butter under the skin, I don't have any issues with a dry breast (well, Brining takes care of that).

the KEY to doing the cheese cloth late.

When the bird looks pretty, put it on, soaked in butter, but...

don't let it dry out. Keep it moist. If it dries, it will peel the rub off when you pull it off.

Then, IF you must have crispy skin, pull it off at the last and let the buttered skin crisp up.

See, all I did was raise more questions didn't I?

And who would have guess YOU would be the first with questions Wink
Jerin, no right or wrong way.

I heat the butter up in the microwave and soak the cloth in it, then put it on.

Hadn't really thought about putting it on cold, that might work really well.

Key is don't let it dry out enough that when you take it off, it takes off all the skin and/or the rub.
While I'm posting - ill ask for opinions on an ideal that I had.

I was reading smokins turkey 101 - always great info (my fav is the prime rib....) and was thinking that instead of using butter soaked cheesecloth on the breast that I might put some strips of bacon over the breast instead of cheese cloth... what better than pork fat for a little extra flavor.

might be able to weave it into a lattice pattern - like you would on a fattie...

It would definitely be a conversation piece

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.