Skip to main content

Well, since Russ (Smokin Okie), our fearless leader is out gallivanting around the US, I thought I'd start this year's thread.

It's sort of a tradition, so as always, post your results so others can learn. Pics are even better so everyone can ooh and ahh.

We annually create this thread to report your results. One of the most common questions is "how long do I smoke it"

Your reports will help answer that:

Please report:

1: Which smoker
2. Turkey Size
3. Preps
4. Smoker temp
5. Total Time
6. Comments
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Tried a few different things this time. Did a dry brine rather than a wet brine and glazed the skin with maple syrup a couple times during the cook.

1. FEC100
2. 16lb
3. Dry brine overnight, Olive oil/herb slather on the skin. Maple Syrup glaze during the cook.
4. 224 for 1 1/2 hours, then ramped up to 350.
5. Total time just under 4 hours.
6. Took a very long time to get up to 350, was originally going to go for 326, but it took almost an hour to get from 224 to 326 so I let it go an extra 25 degrees higher. First year doing turkey on the FEC, must say everyone said it was the best one I've done yet. LOVE this FEC.
CS 025
14lbs
basic brine plus maple syrup, molasses, pepper corns, bourbon 48 hours, injected with melted butter,olive oil, onion and garlic powder
started at 270 then turned ir down to 220 to delay the finish time a bit
5 hours basted 3-4 times the last hour and after finish with melted butter and bourbon
great color moist I will do this again

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 20151126_131158
1: Which smoker: Amerique
2. Turkey Size: 13# Butterball
3. Preps: No brine, rub SOG, air dry 24 hours, 1/4# compound butter under breast skin.
4. Smoker temp: 300° preheated with 2oz. Apple chunk
5. Total Time: 4 hours 170°
6. Comments: Basted with butter at 150° and 160°. Result, crispy skin, tender and moist.

T
Last edited by mrt 2
1: Which smoker: Amerique
2. Turkey Size: Two 12 pounders. Kroger brand. 89 cents per lb. on sale
3. Preps: Smokins basic brine for 36 hours. Rubbed Tone's Rosemary Garlic seasoning under the skin. Smoked with 1 chunk apple wood.
4. Smoker temp: 290. Started with a cold smoker.
5. Total Time: 3.5 hours. Breast temps 165-170. Ran a bit long, but got caught visiting with relatives. Usually I pull at 165. Rested under foil for about 25 min. before serving.
6. Comments: Killer turkey. Moist, flavor profile was fabulous. Everyone loves the rosemary garlic on poultry. Breast oozed juices. Fed 17 people. Almost no breast or thigh meat leftover. My wife used the legs and wing meat to make turkey and noodles and a turkey noodle soup for the next day. I love my post Thanksgiving turkey sandwich on a roll with mustard--I only had enough meat left for one measly sandwich--a great problem to have.

Thanks to the forum for all your help! All of you helped make me look good today.
1: Which smoker: PG500
2. Turkey Size: 21 Pounds
3. Preps: Rubbed and injected 1 hour before entry into smoker. I used Texas BBq The Right Stuff Chicken Seasoning And Texas BBQ Rub’s Chicken/Poultry/Pork Injection. Stuffed with oranges, onions, celery, and carrots.
4. Smoker temp: 100% Cherry and 100% Hickory 2 stage- 200 for 1.5 hour, followed by 350 for 3 hours
5. Total Time: 4.5 hours Breast at 170, Thigh at 155 Held 20 minutes under foil before cutting.
6. Comments: This Turkey was done on Saturday because my extended in-law family insists on fried turkeys. Breast was tasty from injection. Moist for about 10 minutes and then quickly dried. Still edible. Will try injecting overnight or brine next bird. The rubs and injections were spot on. Will definitely use them again.

I used the carcass on Sunday to make Turkey noodle. Outstanding. Lots of meat this week for sandwiches and turkey pot pies.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 12294662_10207068903712619_568647784924680434_n
1) FEC100

2) Walmart 8% enhanced 13# turkey

3) Cut up apple and onion to stuff with, butter soaked cheese cloth on from the start, basting it with butter every 45 minutes and taking it off at the 3 1/4 hour mark.

4) 224* for an hour,275* for 2 1/4 hours, 325* for 45 minutes

5) 4hrs cook time with 20 minute rest period.

6) I used a Cherry Mojo brick at the start for extra smoke, even got a smoke ring on the turkey. Pulled at 160* in the breast. Next time I'll pull the cheese cloth 15 minutes earlier. Everyone gave me compliments on a great turkey.
1. SM025

2. 12.8# Fresh Honeysuckle White

3. Brined 26 hours in Okie’s Holiday Brine then overnight in the fridge. Rubbed butter mixed with fresh chopped sage and rosemary and salt and white pepper under and over the skin. Chopped an apple and onion and placed in the cavity.

4. Smoker temp 275F with 3 oz. applewood. Added butter soaked cheesecloth after 2 hours.

5. Total time in smoker 3 hours. Shorter than I expected! Removed from heat when breast read 165F and left in smoker set at 140F for an hour before serving.

6. Comments: Moist and tasty! This was my first smoked turkey and I can say it was better than anything I've ever done in an oven!

Thank you to Smokin' Okie for his excellent Turkey 101. Excellent advice!
1. FEC100
2. Two Jenny-O about 12# each
3. Spatchcocked, then butter + Mayo + Amazin-Taste Malibu seasoning under skin on breast & rub all over outside.
4. Put on wire rack over pan with 1/2" of water in pan (thinking this may make more moisture). 200* for 1/2 hour, then bumped temp to 275*
5. After 4-hr took the water pans out as was taking too long - temps were only 120* & 130* in breast. Cooked another 2 hours till breast was 165*
6. Guests & I thought these were good turkeys, but won't do over water pan again. I didn't think it added any extra moisture to meat, and greatly added to cook time. Water pans seemed to block heat from getting to turkeys. Spatchcocked turkeys of this size usually take about 3-1/2 hours per past smokes.

7. Did a 14# Butterball two days later in FEC 100. Spatchcocked & same rub as above. into 200* smoker for 1/2 hour, then bump to 275* for 3 more hours. Perfect as far as I was concerned, and neighbors agreed (they got 1/2 of this turkey).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.