Skip to main content

Hey everyone, I'm a long time lover of my Smokette, and I recently shipped her to Germany after using her for four or five years in Texas, where I was just tickled with the results.

Technical question: If I use a transformer to drop the Euro voltage from 240 to 110, and yet the hz remain at 60 rather than 50, could this in anyway damage my unit?

Also, if my unit is rated at 500 watts, does the unit draw this much power continuously? The reason I ask is that I can assign a 500 watt transformer for cookshack duty only if it does not exceed this amount, if it does, than the fuse will go. I know I should probably try and find a 600 watt transformer, but commercially, it seems only 400, 500, 1000, 1600 and 2000 are available.

Anyone else use their Cookshack overseas? How will the different cycles effect the thermocouple?

Just some questions from a long-time Smokette owner who now finds himself in Germany.

P.S. No worries about the wood, my friend in North Florida regaled me with a couple of hickory logs that I was able to pack into our household goods shipment, should keep me smoking for a couple of years.

Thanks,
Mark
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Are you still in the military..? My son was stationed at Spangdahlem after he returned from Iraq. The AF had transformers that the guys could check out for use in their homes.

I believe you would be pushing the limit using a 500W xfmr. You'd want a bit of fudge factor so it doesn't get overloaded. Also, the 50hz vs 60hz would have some affect but I don't believe it'll be bad considering you are working a "toaster" rather than a computer or TV. But, even they seem to work ok at 50 hz.
Smokenque,

Thanks for the quick reply.

No, I'm not in the military...anymore. I retired after 20 (drop and give me 20 lol).

The problem is my wife is still active duty!

You're right, the military gave us two transformers, one 1000w and one 1600w, but I understand that the transformers consume their rated power for as long as they are turned on, and electricity here is expensive. On that note, we live on the economy, and although we receive a stipend for utilities, it would not cover excess consumption.

I was considering buying a transformer just for the cookshack, and with your advice, I think I will start hunting for a 600 or 700 watt transformer.

Most of the more inexpensive appliance in my kitchen I stored only to buy new 240v models here, like the toaster and the microwave, because I believe it will be cheaper to run those than using a transformer in the kitchen. I stored most of my 110v kitchen appliances back in Abilene, at government expense, thankfully.

I've found most 240v appliances that use heating elements actually get much hotter much faster than 110v units. For example, the coffee pot is lickety split, as is the toaster. The iron is hot in less than a minute.

It sometimes makes me wonder why we don't go to that standard in the U.S. My Dad, who worked around electrical stuff all his life told me, "240v is the killer voltage", I guess it is enough to kill when shocked, unlike 120v, which just jostles you a bit. Still, I don't see lots of dead europeans eloctrocuted by household current.

On top of that, the Germans have a couple of 340v outlets in their houses, usually in the basement and at the front of the house! Holy ke-ripes, don't lick that one! It is easily identifiable by its red housing and it has a hearty cover that you have to move out of the way to plug in God-knows-what.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice. I'm tempted to go ahead and try a cook with the 1000 watt transformer (equal to running 10 100watt lightbulbs continously) and see how it goes. I won't even plug in the 1600w transformer. That thing is a beast, and I'll probably turn it in for something smaller.

Mark
I'd be interested in your advice from CS.

BTW, a transformer will only draw neglagible power until something is tied to it.. like your smoker.

Your CS draws 500W.. I don't know what it draws at startup.. but likely a bit more trying to bring the coil up to heat.. but, essentially 500W. You don't want to crowd that too much as you overheat the xfmr which is not good for it.. and probably not good for the CS as it would be almost like using an undersized extension cord.. which has been discussed before.

So, all in all.. I don't see how tying up to the military supplied transformer would be any different than what you are trying to purchase for a specific application. The cost of electricity should be no more.
quote:
Originally posted by mjadams5:
Hey everyone, I'm a long time lover of my Smokette, and I recently shipped her to Germany after using her for four or five years in Texas, where I was just tickled with the results.

Technical question: If I use a transformer to drop the Euro voltage from 240 to 110, and yet the hz remain at 60 rather than 50, could this in anyway damage my unit?

Also, if my unit is rated at 500 watts, does the unit draw this much power continuously? The reason I ask is that I can assign a 500 watt transformer for cookshack duty only if it does not exceed this amount, if it does, than the fuse will go. I know I should probably try and find a 600 watt transformer, but commercially, it seems only 400, 500, 1000, 1600 and 2000 are available.

Anyone else use their Cookshack overseas? How will the different cycles effect the thermocouple?

Just some questions from a long-time Smokette owner who now finds himself in Germany.

P.S. No worries about the wood, my friend in North Florida regaled me with a couple of hickory logs that I was able to pack into our household goods shipment, should keep me smoking for a couple of years.

Thanks,
Mark

If you used the smoker on 60Hz over here, and the current is still running at 60Hz from the transformer over there, why would you be concerned with stepping down the voltage and staying with 60Hz? Also, I agree the transformer is only pulling current through to any appliance when that appliance is energized.

Cool
Actually, Mark.. if you live in Deutschland.. you MAY have TWO bads.. Big Grin

1. Which you corrected.. 50 vs 60 hz
2. The German standard, as I remember, is 230v.. not 240.. but, I could be wrong here. I believe UK is 240@50hz

NB.. NB.. NB

Also, for others reading this.. if you have one of the CS's with a DIGITAL control and live in Europe with 50hz.. I'd NOT use a simple transformer as my first comments.. the 50hz could damage the sensitive electronics.
MJADAMS5, I live in Darmstadt (10 miles south of Frankfurt am Main or Frankfurt for the rest of the world) and I'm stationed at Ramstein AB (Kaiserslautern). When I purchased by 009 two years ago, Cookshack charged me $54 to wire it for European voltage. They sent me a British plug that I had to change. I'll bet they are sending you the wrong plug. When I used my 009 the first couple of times, I kept blowing the circuit breaker. Boy was my wife mad. However, the problem cleared itself up and I have not had a problem in the last two years. What installation is your wife stationed at. We may have to get together one day and have some que.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.