Skip to main content

Decided to try my first smoke with a 8lb Top Sirloin from Sams. Figured I would use the new food slicer and make roast beef.

The flavor of the meat was outstanding, and had a nice smoke. The only issue is that I went too heavy on the outside rub. Next time i will scale it down. If you just ate the sliced by themselves, the rub was too strong. However, with some mayo/horseradish on some bread...best roast beef sandwich I have ever had. Learning curve.

8 lb Top Round from Sams Club

New smoker

I have a wireless video camera that I am playing with. I had it hooked up so I could watch the meat temperature from the video side on the TV. Relaxing on the couch, playing ps3 or watching tv, and then flip over. I am working on getting it to go to the laptop and then it will shoot to my android phone so I can monitor it from anywhere.

Put in double foil for over an hour to let the meat rest. It will cook another 5 degrees so I had pulled it from the smoker early anticipating that.

Sliced Roast Beef
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Nice looking sandwich meat, but personally, I would grill the sirloin and go buy a nice choice packer. You won't have to worry about too much rub and these smokers were made for brisket cooking, if you try a packer chances are that's what will be used for beef sandwiches.

Nice thoughts/work on the video that could come in real handy in the cold weather.

Thanks for the Pics and CONGRATS on the 1st smoke!!!
Mr. Walleye over on the Bradley website posted this rib rub in a post on pulled beef. I use it on chuckies. It goes *very* well on beef.

Dubby'S Rib Rub
• 1 C sugar
• 1/2 C paprika
• 1/4 C salt
• 3 Tbsp black pepper
• 2 Tbsp celery seed powder
• 2 Tbsp garlic powder
• 2 Tbsp onion powder
• 2 Tbsp chili powder
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1/2 tsp cayenne

Add Reply