Skip to main content

This is courtesy of Rick Salmon,a comp cook from KC on Ray Basso's forum.

by Salmon on June 16, 2004 at 20:42:34:

About 3 or 4 years ago there was a team that was kicking butt in ribs. They had about 5 or 6 1st places in a row with many of those being 180's. That year they took rib cookers of the year at the KCBS awards. Well, they have stopped competing as they have opened a resturant just south of KC. They were on Food TV tonight and gave their rib recipe.

Rick

Ward Winning Ribs (Sticky Ribs) Recipe courtesy of We Be Smokin' Competition Team

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Expert
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 4 hours
Cook Time: 5 hours 30 minutes
Yield: 1 to 2 servings
User Rating:

1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons seasoning salt (recommended: Lawry's)
1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 rack baby back ribs, skinned
1 cup apple juice
1/2 cup favorite BBQ sauce, or more to taste
1/8 cup honey, or more to taste

In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, seasoning salt, and pepper together. Rub brown sugar mixture on ribs, coating the entire rib, and place in a large resealable plastic bag. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours (the longer, the better).
Prepare a smoker, using charcoal; heat to 225 to 250 degrees F. When the coals have burned to ash, add wood chips, preferably apple wood chips. Place ribs in smoker and cook for 3 hours at 225 to 250 degrees F. Using a spray bottle, spray ribs with apple juice every 45 minutes. After 3 hours, remove ribs from smoker, wrap in aluminum foil, and return to the smoker to cook for 2 more hours.

After 2 more hours, open foil and brush your favorite BBQ sauce and honey over the ribs. Leave foil open and then cook for 30 more minutes. Remove ribs from smoker. When cool enough to handle, cut ribs in half. Drizzle a little more honey over top and serve.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I tried this recipe and directions today - they turned out superb...best ribs I've ever done !
Used 2 oz of Jack Daniel's pellets and 1 oz. mesquite chips for a full load in my 008.

I did, however, only spray them only once in the first 3 hours, (in view of the time it takes to get the temp back up), and will likely go an extra 1/2 hour next time.

Thanks Tom for posting this great recipe - it's a keeper !

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.