Skip to main content

I am not a fan of well done prime rib but there are a couple in my family that won't eat anything but. So the dilemma is how long do I cook the well piece compared to the medium piece so they come out about the same time. I'm new with my 025 and would like to put something on the table for everyone. Also is the prime rib 101 link around. Every one I find leads me to nothing. Like its not available anymore.
Thanks Bubba
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My solution to the people who like overcooked prime rib is to have a pan of au jus handy. When you put a slice of medium rare in the pan the au jus will suck the red out of it and make it look done so you can at least serve a still moist and juicy slab of meat. And this gives a delicious side benefit - you can serve the leftovers as french dip, the au jus will have a slightly smokey flavor that is delicious.
quote:
Originally posted by Bacchus2b:
I smoked a 16 lb PR to medium rare over Christmas, and for the two people who requested well-done, I seasoned thick slices on both sides with salt and pepper and gave them 2-3 minutes per side of love in a hot skillet. Worked great for leftovers as well!

You can also place lettuce leaves in the pan and heat the slices on the lettuce leaves which will keep searing at a minimum.
quote:
Originally posted by UncleDuke:
My solution to the people who like overcooked prime rib is to have a pan of au jus handy. When you put a slice of medium rare in the pan the au jus will suck the red out of it and make it look done so you can at least serve a still moist and juicy slab of meat. And this gives a delicious side benefit - you can serve the leftovers as french dip, the au jus will have a slightly smokey flavor that is delicious.

I'm with you, UncleDuke. I pretty much follow the same method for converting rare/medium rare. It's quicker, cleaner, and produces much better results than pan searing.

To a quart of rich beef stock, I add a few sprigs of rosemary, thyme, sage, along with a few smashed garlic cloves. I then let it simmer, covered, for a couple of hours. When it's time to serve the nonbelievers, I add their slices to the stock for a 10- 15 seconds for the color transformation. It's amazing how many people say that they have never had a well cooked piece of meat that flavorful, tender, and juicy.

Ditto for the french dip. When dinner is done, I strain the stock then refrigerate it for later use with the sandwiches.
Last edited by dls
Well the prime rib came out great, I used 250 degrees until the meat was about 115, then I backed down to 140 and opened the door to cool the smoker. The roast kept the smoker at about 180 and the internal temp of the roast went up quick. I ended up shutting the 025 off for about an hour and a half and the roast quit rising at 135 degrees. Fired it back up because the outside of the roast was cold and it ended up falling to 122 by the time I pulled it out. It was liked by everyone, even the ones that had to have theirs pan fried to get the red out.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.