Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Smoking three racks of loinbacks. Will serve with beans, slaw, and watermellon...and, oh ya...beer. Lots of beer.

Temps in the low to mid 90s here in FL, but there is always a breeze and we have central A/C and underground power lines, so no prob with the heat here...and we're used to it.

Hope those without power in the mid-Atlantic states get a break from the heat!
Gonna do one rack of asian style ribs (thanks for the incentive to finally DO what I had been dreaming of). Gonna smoke some white fish on Tuesday once the cold smoke baffle gets here, also about a pound of salmon and some English Cheddar. Got a batch of gravlax I just started (will be ready Thursfday). I promised the wife if I got the SM150 I would do smoked salmon, smoked whitefish and gravlax... Gotta pay up ya know !!! The gravlax is always good.

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/132/Gravlax
Baby back ribs. I have four racks. Would have gone with spare ribs, trimmed ala St. Louis, but the ones at the store were huge. Three and down right? If it ain't pork, it ain't barbecue.

I will brine them starting Tuesday evening. Kosher salt, molasses, sliced onions, crushed garlic, and peppercorns. Curl them up and fasten with a skewer. Watch the Tour de France and then smoke them for four or five hours until done with apple wood. Pretty simple.

Serve one or two with sides, refrigerate one for later use, and give the other to number two daughter. Virginia will decide on the sides. Maybe potatoes or rice, corn, and peas. Or sumi salad. I could do Chile beans in the pressure cooker. Virginia and I don't quite agree on what is good coleslaw, so that is unlikely. Biscuits or fresh baked bread is nice, but with the temperatures the way they are, we are unlikely to turn on the oven.

We will probably open up a bottle of Cab and celebrate.

Everyone knows that the key to good smoking is to know when to start drinking beer. Too soon, well we all know how that turns out. Too little and it is an opportunity squandered. I have some Fat Tire and Santa Fe Pale Ale laid in.

And we will be thankful that progressive intellectuals had the courage of their convictions 236 years ago. Screw the monarchy.

With fire danger the way it is fireworks are dangerous and besides I have not had time to make any this year. - SmokinDuffey
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
I'll be cooking 2 briskets,2 PBs, 3 racks of ST Louis style spares and 16 chicken thighs for 6 guests and hope they all enjoy them!!!

Wishing all ya a happy and safe holiday!

Hey Cal! Make sure they eat everything before they leave the festivities. With only six people, you could probably get by with one less chicken thigh. Big Grin
Got another prime brisket that is rubbed up and ready to go on pretty soon for an over night smoke. Just made up some of my mom's potato salad, and will put some beans on in the morning. In the fridge I have beer, and a watermelon to slice up.

I hope everyone has a good fourth. Thanks to all those serving overseas right now.
quote:
Originally posted by Pags!:
Hey Cal! Make sure they eat everything before they leave the festivities. With only six people, you could probably get by with one less chicken thigh.

Thanks buddy, my guests gave me a 1st in chicken,1st in pork, 2nd in ribs and a 7th in brisket with an overall score of 693.7....It seems they liked it, but there were plenty of leftovers, oh well!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.