Skip to main content

I have the elite and I have lost a lot of foods due to oversmoke. I measure carefully and use no more than 2 ounces of wood (I use a scale and generally use less). Is there a minimum amount of meat one must do? I find thongs work best when I smoke for a limited time and then finish off in the oven I am Only cooking for two. Any suggestions out there? Anyone else had the same struggle? Thank you.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'd probably just reduce your wood use or as electrotech said, try it with none. It also depends on what your smoking i.e. chicken seems to get oversmoked easier than pork butt.

Also, if you've been putting the meat in cold, consider warming to room temp before putting it in the smoker. Rumor has it that meat will only take on smoke until it reaches about 140*

Nordy
If you're using the wood that came with the 025, it's probably hickory. While I love the taste of hickory some folks might consider it a little strong in flavor and would rather use a milder wood such as apple.You might give that a thought.

Like the others have said, a person can always make the chunks smaller that you already have. Good notes are always the best way of remembering how much to use.
While I have never smoked a thong or finished one in the oven I have to agree with everyone else.

These smokers don’t require a lot of wood for a “good” smoke flavor. I have tried delicate foods without any wood with good results.

Lighter woods such as apple add a good flavor. Sometimes less is more.
For me, the amount will also depend on the meat and the type of wood. Hardly use any wood for Chicken -- mostly fruitwood. A little more for ribs -- hickory and fruitwood. More for Brisket -- oak or pecan. The most for pork butt -- hickory and fruitwood. Also like to preheat for a bit to get past the initial part of the smoke. Takes some cooks to get it the way you like it. Good notes help.
Would like to share my most recent brisket result. Packer choice, 8.75 lbs. Started at 200 after 6 hrs changed to 225 until 192,FTC for one hr. What I did differently was the wood combination. Used 2oz hickory, which I rarely use, and also 2 oz white oak. The smoke flavor was fantastic. The oak seemed to "soften" the hickory. Amerique, for about 18 hours. The point was perfect, but the flat was fine but still not tender as I would like to have it.
Try some oak with the hickory!
The next day, leftovers were terrific, smoke taste was stronger, but not as strong as similar weightings with pecan and apple!
Smiler

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.