Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Lots of companies make a probe that can be put through the vent hole (I think the 008 has one on the top?). I've been using one from Polder for years. For a bit more money, you can get a really nice one from Thermoworks. As for wood, I like a bit stronger flavor than for ribs where I use peach, so I usually use apple. I'm partial to fruit wood for pork. I always allow 2 - 2 1/2 hours per pound for butts (I never wrap them). In my SM-066, it doesn't seem to matter much whether I have one or two butts, but I haven't done more at one time.

@billybob - Echo everything @jay1924 stated... 

Thermoworks products have treated me well enough over the years.  Curious to hear how the Polder treats ya...

Fruit wood would definitely be the way to go.  As far as time, I usually put my butts/shoulders in 9-10 pm the night before and pull them off at 195-200 internal temp.  It usually ends up being early to mid afternnon the next day.  I let them take a nap in the cooler until ready to pull for dinner.  I guess that calculates out to roughly 2-2 1/2 hrs/lb.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.