Skip to main content

It seems that the year is almost 1/2 gone, but we are fortunate enough to be able to celebrate our country's birthday. I will be headed to the lake and have a chance to get reunited with my smokette(020).

I got a chance to stop by Sam's and pickup a case of baby back(loin back) ribs. I had a request to cook some for the neighbors.

I guess I'll do 3 racks with some CS rib rub and hit them about half done with a fine layer of brown sugar and brisket rub. The other three racks I'm gonna do the foiling trick( AJ, brown sugar, honey) and see what all the guest prefer.

Everyone have a safe and happy Holiday! Oh by the way, anyone else smoking something this weekend?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Wife and kids are gone this week, so I'm alone, but not without meat. Smoking five racks of SLs that some folks are going to pickup tomorrow PM. Sat evening, I’ve got a 13.5lb brisket to put in for Sunday dinner at the preacher's house.

By the way, BBQ is American. Folks remember all the sacrifices that were made to enable us to live free in this great country. Having been deployed multiple times as an Army chaplain, I know this weekend there are thousands who will be away from the sweet hickory smell of my smoker as they 'hold the line' that all of us may smoke in peace.

By the way, I recently sent a pound of FEC 100 jerky to my COLs son who is in Iraq. It got lost in the mail and was finally discovered a month later. Vacuumed sealed, it was still fresh and receive raved reviews from all who partook. Thanks Cookshack and thanks to our brave Americans who will be awake this weekend so we can smoke in peace.
Like Chaplain Bill, I’m also sort of alone since I flew to Sarasota, FL yesterday for some offshore power boat racing this weekend. My wife and daughter’s schedules wouldn’t allow the trip, so they stayed in Chicago. I do have a 009 in Sarasota, but I’m going to be too busy to do anything with it.

Not all is lost, however. When leaving, I took around 7 lbs. of frozen pulled pork from a prior smoke, and brought it with me. Every year, my neighbors have a 4th of July party on the beach at their house to eat, drink, dance, and watch community’s annual fireworks display. All the guests contribute a food item, so I’ll defrost my mustard and finishing sauces (on hand from a prior trip), warm the pulled pork, grab some buns, and head off to the party. Should work well.
I'll probably be smoking a pork shoulder for the 4th. I haven't done one of those in a while. Either that or baby backs. My wife will make some of her excellent potato salad, and I'll put a couple of corn cobs on the grill. I have a wonderful chilled Sake that should go well with everything. I can hardly wait!!
Well. Darn. Someone beat me to the baked beans so I've got to come up with something else. Let's face it. Smokin's Smoked BBQ Beans (with pulled pork, mustard, garlic, and Jack Daniels) would be better, but that's life.

So I think I'll make an appetizer. Cut up some Dakota garlic sausage into 1" pieces sprinkled with Rib Tickler Rub (smoke seperately), wrap in serrano ham or precooked bacon (toothpick), dip in probably Sonoma Valley barbecue sauce, sprinkle lightly with parmesan or 4 way cheese, smoke with cherry wood till sauce is glazed and cheese is melted. The good thing about these sausages besides the flavor and size is no grizzle, zilch, nada.

No name. I just made it up. I'll let you know how it turns out and is received.
Last edited by pags
Damn, Pags. That sounds good!! Razzer And I just happen to have a few Dakotas in the freezer. What temperature you setting the smoker to?

quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
So I think I'll make an appetiser. Cut up some Dakota garlic sausage into 1" pieces sprinkled with Rib Tickler Rub (smoke seperately), wrap in serrano ham or precooked bacon (toothpick), dip in probably Sonoma Valley barbecue sauce, sprinkle lightly with parmesan or 4 way cheese, smoke with cherry wood till sauce is glazed and cheese is melted. The good thing about these sausages besides the flavor and size is no grizzle, zilch, nada.

No name. I just made it up. I'll let you know how it turns out and is received.
Smoked almonds in the CS now, beef jerky marinading to smoke tomorrow, a brisket to prepare for Monday. Deployed nephew home on his half-time leave, going to enjoy a BBQ on Sunday with with him - can't wait to see him. Sharing the almonds and the jerky in a care package to my deployed son in Iraq. It is one of the weekends to honor and appreciate those who serve.
we doing up a 8# boneless pork shoulder ala costco, 3 racks of loinbacks, and 3 racks of st. louis cut spares for our shindig today!!

looks like we had a bit of a power glitch sometime during the night, and the amerique stopped heating when the shoulder was well above 160 F since when i woke up, the three meat probes agreed that the meat temp was 164 F but the AQ was at 153F (it had been set to 200 F, but we were only 8 hours into the smoke).

smoking away right now after resetting to 225 F, ribs go in at noon!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.