Skip to main content

Ok guys don't get mad, but I would like to know what cookbook or two would you recomend to a pretty new cookshack 009 user. I weas thinking about the smoke and spice? Anyways my only dissapointment is with the cookbook that comes with the unit. Whats up with that? A book by people who Own a cookshack would be great.I would at least be interested in a book that would relate to our type of smoker. Ia that possible? Ok I'm done except for one more thing SmokenOkie,Why no spellcheck? My catholic education was alittle weak in some areas
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A couple of pretty popular books are written by Cheryl and/or Bill Jamison. Smoke and Spice is one of their most popular - It's not so much technique based but still gives some good recipes.

Sublime Smoke is another one from Cheryl...offers a bit more on technique and a number of good recipes, some of which were pretty similar to those in Smoke and Spice though.

Hope that helps...
FatQboy, I too asked the same question some time ago. As usual the CS forum was great help. I purchased these 3 books, and have not been dissapointed.
1. Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces
2. Dr. BBQ (Ray Lampe) Big-Time BBQ cookbook
3. Smoke&Spice (Cheryl and Bill Jamison)

I have had my 09 for over a year and still have not exhausted these books. If you have these books and the CS forum, you will be set for a long time! Go to Amizon.com, I think you can get all 3 in one order.
Smoke N Italy
fatQboy,

You don't say where you are located in the world of Q, but being up in the real Q wilderness, I really didn't have a clue when you hear about Memphis, St. Louis, Texas, South Carolina, and other regional variations. I think I was given, but that is not a given, Steven Raichlen's "BBQ USA." The cover says it has "425 fiery recipes from all across America." Roll Eyes

I really would not call this a cookbook however, more of a primer on all the different types of Q, with recipes thrown in. It's also big and bulky, so if you display it prominently, and when guests come for your delicious Q they will really think you know all about the Q art. Then if they might by chance as you a question you can't answer, you can respond by saying, "I personally think... but the people who live in .... do their Q this way, let me show you in this book. Cool

By the way if you by chance are using a MAC the spelling checker will work with Safari, not with Firefox. (Apple - shift - : as a keyboard shortcut.) Wink
if i was limited to only two books they would be;
1- paul kirk's championship bbq. paul is an american culinary federation certified chef with many years of real world experience. his recipes work and he shares a lot of good catering information.
2-raichlen's bbq usa. this book has saved my rear end when doing custom orders for people who demanded a specific regional style of cooking. they have been happy with the results and i have been happy with the profit.
ok, now if you still got a few bucks to spend then for sure get mike mill's peace love and bbq. the recipeswork but more importantly you get an idea of the mindset that the legends have. the book never fails to make me analize what i am doing and why. a wonderful read.
if you like the geo politics of food than get "salt" wonderful book. explains why the basques are so upset
jack
I'll have to search for them, we did several "lists" of books, last one in '04 or '05.

Really depends. The Smoke and Spice are "ok" but depends on what you're wanting to do, you can almost go specialized.

Paul's Championship Sauces if you want to make your own rubs/sauces, etc

Ray's (Dr BBQ) book is good, don't know about this year's version.

Raichlen's books are lots of recipes, but can't say he's a real Q kinda guy, more a griller. Met and talked with him a couple of times, own his books.

Really depends. Best is the "Q University" which is still on my dream list to build as a website. Or just come cook with me at a contest. I may not be winning a lot, but you'll learn a lot.

Smokin'
Smokin is right, but that is not news.

Raichlen's book is really not about BBQ as CS people would call it. It is more the USA definition. That means grillin, smokin, and everything in between. But that still makes it a good reference for what you might want to make.

For instance all the salmon recipes that are listed in the book from this area I might call barbecued because that's what the locals would call it. Most of it is grilled, normally over an alder wood fire, some is hot smoked or kippered over the same, some is planked on cedar over a gas grill. None of these I would call BBQ, and especially Q. However finished with some high ginger thicken teriyaki sauce, or just plain, it is great.

BBQ salmon to me would be cooked at 200-225 degrees in my CS with a short dense shot of apple or cherry.

Smoked salmon as it is available here is pretty much all cooked, kippered, or hot smoked (all different ways to say the same thing). Cold smoked, or traditional Indian smoked salmon (under 100 degrees) will keep without refrigeration because it is almost dried. Not an easy thing to do with our modern ways, but I'm still working on it with my cold smoking baffle.

Anyway if you buy BBQ USA know what you are getting. Maybe like Jack, someone will want some northwest barbecued salmon, so he can fire up the FEC with some alder pellets, or a pellet mix, and give them what they want at a price that will make him happy, and a quality they will not normally be able to find in the NW. Cool Smiler Wink
Wow, you guys realy are great! I just came back to see if anybody responded and theres ten of ya. Thanks everybody! I brought in my wife and kids to see.(Fathers Day) Revdezvousq, I am from Ohio, Toledo area and no I dont own a mac, darnit. Thanks for the thought though.
[side bar] A month ago I cut up a pork loin in 2'' pieces, brined, cold smoked with apple wood, sealed with my sinbo you guys said I had to have and froze.Tonight I rubbed with ribb stuff and coated with seasoned flour and cooked on my holland grill they were delicious. Thanks for the help here too.
Please keep the ideas comin' on the books. I have learned alot.
Gary
I own a bunch of cookbooks and good number of BBQ cookbooks. But when it comes to BBQ, I really havnen't found my go-to book yet. Paul Kirk's books are okay; I haven't cooking anything from Smoke and Spice that I really liked, Raichlen's books, like BBQ USA is a good cookbook, and I use recipes from it often (though not necessarily for smoking). I don't have Ray's first or second book, so I can't comment on either of those.

What I have found to be most beneficial is reading as many BBQ-related forums and Web-based recipes that I can get my hands on. I've come up with a few winning recipes from these that I haven't been able to beat yet from any book.

Read a lot, cook a lot, and you'll be able to write your own cookbook that suits your tastes soon enough.
FatQboy,

I have Paul Kirks Championship Barbecue book and I would not recommend it for a couple of reasons;

1. To make some of his rubs or what he calls a Barbecue seasoning requires the Baron of Barbecue's Seasoning Salt which requires 10 items. Then after you make the Seasoning Salt, you add it to 9 more items to make the final seasoning - 19 items. After making a few cups, it was not even in the same league with the rib rub that came with my CS55 or AmeriQue. In fact it wasn't even close to the two part Penzey's beef rub that was recommended by the 2 Greyhounds on this forum. Also, smokin's rub (101) is still my favorite. I have found that after adding plain salt and black pepper, three flavors are about enough to get what you want.

2. Personal - Kirk's cook book has some recipes that he states he got from other cooks and I wonder if he tried them before including them in his book? An example is a recipe from an un-named Japanese lady in a cooking class in Hawaii for Lemon-Ginger Lamb Chops. Following that recipe I ruined $32.00 worth of beautiful lamb chops. After a couple of bites we threw the chops away and boiled some brats.

I no longer use Kirk's book and find that this forum, using Cookshack equipment, gives me perfect results and I won't buy any other BBQ book either. BBQers like Tom, Dennis-UT, prisonchef (two greyhounds) smokinjoe and SmokinOkie will give you good directions and recipes and they don't fill up pages with ink.

Just my opinion, for what it is worth, Smiler

smokemullet
mullet,
i really respect you.
on the kirk and riachle thing i agree with dennis and you. books are simply a guideline to get you near the ballpark you want to be in. better than that they make you think and decide. i never failed to learn something from any chef i worked for. sometimes that decision was i would never follow his lead!!! that's why i love bbq! it's hard and a hard road to develope your own style. classic cusine is much easier but not near as rewarding as once the fundementals are memorized it is simply cooking by the numbers!!
all that said i still recommend the book "salt" sure is funny to read about the wars and fights over the most abundant thing on the face of the earth. reminds me of the smoke ring debate but on a world wide scale
jack
Of the few cookbooks I own on smoking, Smoke and Spice is my personal favorite (they even make small mention of the Cookshack ovens in the book). The recipes are all tried and true, but applying the cooking techniques to a Cookshack smoker is almost entirely up to you to figure out ... either by trial and error, through the helpful folks in the forums and/or Cookshack instructions. But, then again, all smokers are not created equal. So, therefore, the trials of getting it right in a Cookshack product is no different than when getting started with any other type of unit. Practice makes better. Good Luck! Cool

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.