Skip to main content

Recently came across a recipe for Big Bob Gibson's white BBQ sauce (mayo, cider vinegar, horseradish, other stuff), served with chicken... have some questions for anyone familiar with white sauce:

Is it mixed cold or heated?
Is it served warm, room temp, or cold?
Seems like it should be acidic enough to keep at room temp... true??
Is this a major sauce in the south? Where's it found (KY, AL, SC, other areas)?

thanks.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It ain't mine, but it was, after all, posted by the Food Network when the sauce was featured by Paula Whatshername about a week ago on her show. SO I believe it's OK with the Gibsons... I'm sure somethin is missing, after all... plus, the recipe called for 1/4 C vinegar, and 2 tbs apple cider... I substituted the cider vinegar...

1/2 C mayo
1/4 C cider vinegar
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 tbs sugar
1/2 tsp prepared horseradish
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne
I have made white sauce twice before, a cold sauce, and serving it once with ribs and once with cornish hens. I did not like it at all, but my wife and four other people for dinner raved over it.

I also fixed a sauce that is chipotle based with a small amount of bitter chocolate, mole' style and cooked. The best sauce I have ever eaten and the chipotle sauce went begging. I took it that the guest wasn't as well tuned to good food as the cook. Big Grin
I see this is an old post, but between a cookbook and the internet I found three variations of this recipe. I personally thought I did something wrong because it was very thin and not much on taste when I made it. My wife and I decided there must be more to the recipe than what we found and tried. Any suggestions? Is it supposed to be watery?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.