Skip to main content

So I have come across a very, very old Coockshack and I have never cooked on one. I am looking for some insight if there is any. Here is a pic of the ID plate from it and the production date seems to be 6-26-89. It looks to be similar to the current model of SM360 but I can't find any info on it. It seems to hold a 225 temp well and even has the "Cook and Hold" fetcher and it works. I would expect to soak wood chunks for a day but how many and how often to add more. I come from a old school competition background and run an Ole Hickory in a restaurant along with many other types of smokers so I get it on the concept.  Thanks for the help.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Cookshack
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

1989 is not that old for Cookshack smokers.  They have been making them for over 50 years.  The Cookshack smokers will take a little to get used to.  First off, don't soak your wood.  These things are tight and cook on the moist side.  I have an SMO66.  These things are very wood stingy.  Read the manual that you were sent, and you will see the  Recommended  amount of wood.  I would stick to that amount of wood.  Go much over it, or keep adding wood during the smoke, and every thing you produce will taste like Creosote, I have done that and been there.  One of our former members wrote some 101's on using these these smokers.  He said that meat only takes in smoke until the internal temp of the meat reaches 140 degrees.  Believe me, you can get plenty of smoke on the meat by the time it reaches 140 degrees.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.