Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Joe:
I got a 025 for christmas along with the attachment so I can stor stuff...

Prepared a Brisket....all said I was the Brisket King.....

Prepared a few rack of St. Louis style ribs...used the rib rack ...removed membrane ....rubbed ...friged 24 hours before
cook...turned out horrible....Frowner

Yeah, I personal would only rub them a hour or two before smoking....any other problems with the ribs you have questions about?
Donnie Joe,

Congrats on the 025.

I have the same question on wood. How much? I weigh mine on a digital scale and keep it to about 2 ounces for ribs, 3 ounces for a butt (we like a lighter smoke flavor). It is pretty easy to over smoke. Describe horrible please.

As for a rub, I have a simple rub of garlic powder, brown sugar, and a little fresh ground pepper. The brown sugar pretty much liquifies so it is important to dry the ribs before applying.

I have tried the 3,2,1 method where 3 hours is ribs unwrapped in the smoker, 2 hours wrapped in foil, and 1 hour unwrapped. I have also gone 2, 2, 1. I actually prefer just letting them 'smoke in the raw'.

Good luck and happy smoking.
quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Joe:
Cal.....what are your thoughts on rib racks vs placing ribs flat on rack?

what type of smoke to you use and how much?

Nothing wrong with rib racks if you need to cook more ribs then laying them flat will hold, but with the electric smokers, the bigger load will more than likely require more cook time.

Like old sarge said, the amount of wood really depends on how much smoke your guests like. I use a piece of Cherry and Pecan or Hickory about the size of a golf ball. Some of the experienced cooks taught me, a couple big pieces for long cooks(brisket/butts) and a couple small pieces for short cooks(ribs/chicken/turkey).

When you learn to cook ribs correctly, foil is only a after thought, just look at some of AndyJ's pictures. I'm sure he doesn't use foil, because that is how we learned from Smokin'.

If you have some more questions just start a thread on ribs and I'm sure some of the forum members will get you cooking "great" ribs.
I make my own cowboy rub and I got a great deal on Cookshacks line of rubs last year so sometimes use their rubs. But I NEVER rub ribs for more than about 1 hour, Cookshack and most commercial rib rubs have SALT in them in some form, and leaving a salted rub on too long will make the ribs taste HAMMY, I learned that here. Pull membrane, trim any excess fat, apply rub and put them in the smoker. I too tried the foil thing, frankly I go 225, meat side down about 2 1/2 hours, meat side up 1 hour, glaze with sauce and let cook another 1/2 hour. A lot depends on the meatiness of the ribs and the load you're putting in your smoker. I have an SM150, pretty good sized rig, I never put more than 2 oz. of wood in. For ribs I like using maple or maple and apple wood. Brisket I like some red oak or hickory or a little of both, for pork butt some maple, apple or red oak. Never more than 2 oz. My smoker has a pretty decent patina inside and you don't need that much wood with a Cookshack. Keep good notes and change only one thing at a time, you'll get it right, trust me it's The Bomb !!
Thanks cal! Although sometimes I do use foil... To wrap up the leftovers! Yep Smokin' has taught a lot of us here, as have a lot of others. I seem to recall reading a LOT of cal's posts and I still do. Wink But like everyone has said, go easy on the wood til you figure out your personal preference for a smoke profile. Remember, you're just using the wood for flavor not for heat and a little goes a long way. I usually like to use a fruit wood for ribs, apple, cherry, peach etc.

And I too only leave the rub on for 30-60 minutes before placing in the smoker. Haven't really settled on any one rub yet. Way too many to try, but I do have a few favorites that I re-purchase from time to time.

As for rib racks, nothing wrong with them. Little harder to sauce the ribs near the end. I'll use mine if I'm making a lot of ribs. Only problem I've run into a couple times was when the smoker was loaded with meat, it' wouldn't come up to temp. I think I had 7 racks, two tri-tips and a pan of beans in there one time.

Once you get the hang of your new smoker, you'll be making a lot of new friends that want to come over. Welcome to the Forum!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.