Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Storm Cooker:
[qb]Looking for one with lots of fresh ingredients, good wine and fruit. Boy am I thirsty!!!!!!!![/qb]

Here's one we use:

1 bottle (750 ml) Nuyaka Creek Winery Peach Chardonnay. ()

juice of 1 orange
juice of 1 lime
juice of 1 lemon
1 liter Diet 7-Up

Directions:
In a large pitcher, pour wine, citrus juices and soda. Serve very cold. Garnish with marachino cherries and wedges of orange and pineapple.
Nuyaka Creek Wines
This one is not typical, but fruity, great taste and extra kick. Published in Southern Living May 2001:

1 gallon dry white wine
2 cups brandy
1 cup triple sec or other orange liquor
4 oranges, sliced
bunch of mint leaves
Mix all together, let set for 8 hour[if possible]

just before serving over ice add:
1 litter club soda
1 qt. whole strawberries
2 lemons thinly sliced
2 limes thinly sliced
garnish (if desired)with one or all-mint, oranges, strawberries, lemon and lime.

enjoy (in moderation)
The following recipe is from Marimar Torres cookbook "The Spanish Table"..., it's the most authentic Sangria recipe that I know of.

3- 750 ml. bottles of full-bodied red wine
2- large lemons, peel and slice thin. Peel can be spiral cut and added to the Sangria
2- large oranges, peel and slice thin. Peel can be spiral cut and added to the Sangria
2- large peaches (when in season), cut in sections
3- tablespoons of sugar, or to taste
1/2 cup finest-quality Spanish brandy, or to taste
1/2 cup orange liquer, such as Gran Torres or Grand Marnier, or to taste
1/4 cup gin, or to taste
Any other fresh fruits such as strawberries and grapes (except melon)
2 or 3 (10-ounce) bottles club soda
Ice cubes

Place all ingredients, except soda and ice cubes, in a large glass bowl or pitcher. Stir well. Taste to adjust ingredients if necessary. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving. At the last minute, add soda and ice cubes, If you make it more than 6 hours before servng, add fruiits like strawberries at the end, so they don't get mushy).
Jose Cuervo???

Now, if you want to talk GOOD tequila, Anejo's etc, we'll talk. I thought JC was good, until I graduated to college.

I've got quite a collection of aged tequila's and when you get a good one, you'll think you were drinking aged bourbon or aged scotch. Lots of character.

Smokin'
well, we made it a little different when i lived in spain. i went to college in valencia. they have pubs on every corner. a good sangria place would have a 50 gallon barrel of the home-made stuff just sitting around for all to look at. one guy told me a good way. but there aint no wine in it.
fresh fruit and juices. clear liquor. i thin i remember we would buy cans of apple, orange, peach, grapefruit, and targerine juices. combine all the juices. fresh fruit of just about any kind we could find would go in next, just slice the like you were going to eat them and toss them in, peels and all. i think grapes would be bad cause you might choke on one, although we used grape juice. then toss in a bottle or two or three... we used ever clear(190 grain), or bicardi 151, maybe even some tequila. seems i dont remember the exact ones, but half way through you wont remember either. if thats the case, you made it right! always had a rep for k-a sangria in those days..
good luck.
My first wife was born in Seville, Spain, and although that does not make me an expert on sangrias, having to put up with the non-stop chattering of her mother does! The only way to stop her talking was to throw some sangria down her throat, of course stopping the yack was not a matter of choice for her, rather a matter of physics. Anyways, take a cup of hearty tinto, add a 1/4 cup sugar and heat in the microwave to dissolve sugar. Add oranges, blood and others, grapefruit, in wedges with veins removed, do this by running your knife down one side of wedge and up other, wedged apples and pears, 1/4ed strawberries, really you can use any fruit you want, put all this in a large carraf, add wine/sugar mixture, pour in as much wine as you want, minimum 1 bottle, no maximum, and add, coke, 7 up, whatever to add a little bubble. Pour this over a glass of ice with squeeze of lime added as served. This is nice with a cane sugar ambar rum such as Mount Gay Eclipse or any Venezuelan brand. Garnish each glass with lime.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.