Skip to main content

This really should be in recipes,and Smokin' will no doubt move it.

Sometime's folks run out of rub,and need a proven substitute,that isn't too complicated.

I'm not trying to start a thread on everyone's personal favorite,just offering one that many cookteams have picked up on.

Sometimes folks aren't looking for a specific recipe,but this has been popular ever since the Jaemison's put out their earlier Smoking books,i.e. Smoke and Spice.[I think this is where it originally popped up ?]

Southern Succor was the other rub,that was chosen by many.

Many mix the two rubs,depending on the meats.

Wild Willy's Wonderful Rub

3/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup ground black pepper
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons cayenne

Hope some find this helpful.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have a brisket smoking with this as I type. I don't smoke all that often these days, but when I do, I find myself going back to the old reliable recipes from Smoke and Spice, including Souther Succor for butts. Great book, but as people have commented in the past, the cooking times are generally consistently under estimated.

Tom, while in your thread, I have seen that you are a proponent of foil and broth. Is this something you do during the cooking, or after it is done and sitting wrapped in foil in a cooler? I rarely do a brisket and have had mixed results in the past, so any help getting it right would be great. I was just happy I figured out how to fold the monster to get it into my Smokette.
Saying "I'm a proponent of foil and broth" is like saying "I like women and giraffes, and ice hockey.".

Yes,but at a lot of different times and situations. Big Grin

I probably have at least 1,000 threads on here,so that also depends.

Yes,I like to hold butts and briskets in foil,in a hot box,after cooking.

Sometimes a spritz of liquid,although it will alter/soften the bark.

Foil can be used in cooking to speed up,or to layer flavors.

If cooking poor quality flats,or even packers,if drying is a problem,I may foil-once the bark and color suit me.

I may paint,or add a small amount of liquid to the foil if I can't solve the problem other wise and accept the change in taste/texture.

Experience[and failures] help the decision.

Aside from Smokin's tutorials,here is one I like to share,when discussing problems and the possibility of foiling.

Stick with the max temps of your smokette.

Darcy's Indirect cooked brisket.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.