Skip to main content

WildWilly, are you there? I see you introducing yourself. I guess you know about the classical BBQ Rub called Wild Willy. Coincidence, or are you Wild Willy?

quote:
Title: WILD WILLY'S NUMBER ONE-DERFUL RUB
Categories: Rubs, Bar-b-q,
Yield: 2 Cups

3/4 c Paprika
1/4 c Ground Black Pepper
1/4 c Salt
1/4 c Sugar
2 T Chili powder
2 T Garlic powder
2 T Onion powder
1/2 c Ground black pepper

Mix the spices thoroughly in a bowl. Store covered in a cool, dark
pantry.

~ SOURCE: SMOKE AND SPICE

Cool, no? Smoke and Spice is a must-have BBQ book, by the way. That and a bankroll for paprika purchases. Cool
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sorry to take so long answering this. Didn't see it for a while, then got a new computer and lost my password!

I was all set to say that I am not the Wild Willy, and had never seen that recipe, when I noticed it IS MY RUB RECIPE!

In fact, I have ribs in the Cookshack with it this very minute, my first this year, and can't wait to taste 'em. I know you the Cookshack works all winter lomg, but the cook doesn't handle the cold real wellSmiler

Don't know where this came from, but thanks for calling it to my attention!

Hmmm...
By the way. this ISN'T the rub I iuse in the Cookshack anymore. Paprika got too expensive, and I ahve a nice Mexican food store nearby where I can get CHile powder cheaper...adds more zip and keeps the color nice. Now I use equal parts of Chili Powder, FRESH ground black pepper (grind it up in a battery=powered coffee mill) and SUGAR.

THew sugar doenx'r seem to affect the taste, but carmalizes to give a much better bark in the cookshack.

Wife and I just finished the ribs I was talking about. She dipped hers in sauce, I couldn't bear to cover up trhe great tasste with something not as good as the ribs.

The Cookshack is THE GREATEST!!!
I don't know what is considered expensive for paprika,but here is a source that many of the chili cooks use for quality and great service.

They are available to talk to you ,advise,and usually throw in something for you to try with your orders.

If you are a Gebhardts' fan,this is the best source I have found for them.

I disclaim any connection with these folks.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.