Skip to main content

The wife and I will be headed to Florida on New Year's Day for a three month stay. We live in Maine. My SM025 is housed in a small plastic garden shed with a smokestack ala RichH: http://archeryproshop.com/smoker/index.htm

I have a CS cover. My plan is to fasten a plastic bag over the smokestack, put corks in the exhaust and intake holes of the SM025, and cover the smoker with the CS cover.

Is this overkill? I want to keep the smoker dry and keep little critters out of the smoker (we have had mice make a nice winter nest in the Weber gas grill in past years).

Comments? Suggestions?

SmokinMAINEiac
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Have seen some threads about them rats liking to chew on cords. I don't know if the can fit in the holes on the smoker, but insects would be a concern.

Heck, take it with you if your driving. I take my back and forth to the lake, about 110 miles, so what if your drive is a little longer. You'll not be able to eat Que out after getting use to what you cook or at least I struggle with eating out.
I'd take the smoker along to Florida. Three months is a long time without some good Que.

Option would be to put the smoker in the garage for storage along with the wood and anything else that critters could harm. Then put moth balls in the shed or around the outside. I found they work good to keep mice and bugs out of the RV.

Mac
quote:
Originally posted by Tom:
If you have much humidity,you might set a small bag of cat litter on the racks.

Here,we can get mold and mildew when not used a lot and they are covered.

You don't want that in your insulation and it is an inexpensive precaution.

Another great idea. There are days in Maine in the winter when it is almost 100% humidity (foggy), not to mention all that snow on the ground.

SmokinMAINEiac
The SM025 has 14x18 racks and is 18" deep. The key to using the 20cf shed is smoker depth.

The set-up is great. I haven't had a drop of water in the shed. I can smoke in a pouring rain and the smoker stays nice and dry.

You will probably swap out the casters for feet though.

Also, I didn't use the dowel leg approach that RichH used...I slapped together a table out of 2x4 and plywood scraps I had in the garage.

SmokinMAINEiac
Three weeks from today I will start a three month stay in Florida. After 60 years of the snow, dark, and cold of Maine winters I will finally see what it is like to skip out on winter and go south.

I will miss my using little Smokette and the great Q I am learning to cook with it. BUT, I will continue to learn from the forum, and explore BBQ in the Sunshine State.

My wife and I intend to go to Pig Fest 2011 in Lakeland in late January, a KCBS event. I hope to take the judging class the evening before the competition and become a KCBS certified judge. Don't know if I'll have a chance to judge this time around or not, but I will sample the booths for sure.

My last smoke was spares. I will be smoking almonds and pecans for Christmas presents, and there will be chicken and maybe a turkey smoked before we leave.

Will winterize the CS using some of the suggestions listed here.

So, carry on fellow CS owners! I'll be reading about your adventures.

SmokinMAINEiac
Lakeland is one of the great community sponsered events with the public,supermarkets,and lots of vendors.
Some of the cook teams make good money vending,and many others only compete.

The crowd may number over 50,000 for the weekend.

It is traditionally the start of the KCBS comp season and the first in the TOY points race.
Many top teams come down from the frozen North and tie a vacation in with a top contest.

Fast Eddy and several of the CS folks are usually there.It looks like an FEC convention.
Well, we're leaving New Year's Day to go to Florida for the rest of the winter. Today was my last smoke in my SM025 before leaving. Tomorrow I button her up for three months Frowner

I chose beef back ribs for my "last meal". Used DennyMike's Cow Bell Hell rub and red oak chunks. Outstanding! I have to say that I like the commercial rubs much better then my own. I guess I'm going to have to break down and try some of the rubs you all have been talking about.

I will be sampling Que in Florida, and attending some competitions...hope to become certified as a KCBS judge in late January.

And I'll continue to participate in the forum even though I will not be able to put any new methods or recipes to the test until April.

Some of you Florida boys, send me a PM and maybe we can get together for an adult beverage while I am in the Sunshine State.

Keep on smokin'!

Gary
Well, I am half way through my winter stay in Florida and although I am having a great time here whilst those of you in the northern states deal with all that cold and snow (79 degrees here today and I played golf), I do find myself missing my little SM025 terribly. I think I am suffering from CS withdrawal.

On Superbowl Sunday I smoked a rack of full spares on a charcoal grill following the instructions on BBQ Pitboys.com and produced a good product, I really didn't like all fire tending.

When the wife isn't looking I search craiglist looking for someone who wants a quick sale on a used CS, but you know that doesn't happen very often.

But it won't be long before my little Smokette and I will be reunited and pork parts will be again cooked low and slow at our house.

SmokinMAINEiac

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.