Skip to main content

Hi, new to smoking, new to forum, for the first five or six times I've used my smoker, set at 225 temp, the wood would smolder up through the vent , now it dosen't at all. I still get a smokey flavor in the food, the vent is not blocked. The wood chunk comes out slightly charred. It used to come out as ash. Any thoughts?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It would be just thoughts...but I seem to be having some of the same things happening with my wood. I used 2 pieces of oak,hickory,and cherry on two PBs that I smoked last night. Normally the cherry is just a tad bit drier than the other two and burns to ashes very quickly. This time my wood was charred real good but not used up as usual, EVEN the cherry.

I just seem to think that it has to be something to do with the 3 weeks of 90% humidity that we have had here in our part of the country or maybe it could be it is drawing some moisture back in the wood.

I, like you have a good smoke flavor to the product, so oh well! It's just not worth the effort to dry it out more,IMO.
My 055 has a narrow wood tray that is about 12 inches long. Wood at the front never really turns to ash but I don't worry about it.

I usually shove the charred chunks to the back of the tray and put a new chunk or two up front. By the time a chunk works it way to the back of the tray, it usually has turned mostly to ash.

If your 'product' tastes ok, then you are all set.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.