Skip to main content

The wood in my CS Smokette does not turn to ash after a long (12 hour) smoke but remains as a black chunk of charcoal. I do get some smoke early on in the cooking process but after about an hour or two, the volume of smoke disappears. I am using Hickory, Apple and Cherry chunks from Cookshack and cooking at a temp of 225. I am storing my wood in a garden shed. I don't use the Smoker very often but this seems a bit unusual. Is it possible that the wood is too dry or too damp. Comments and advice would be appreciated.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome aboard FP.
I don't have a CS, but in past experiences, the chips/chunks still will give off flavor after the smoke is gone.
The FEC smokes when it first starts and then settles down into a thin blue, almost invisible, smoke.
I have a gasser that does what you are speaking of and always get good flavor.
I'll let an owner chime in with their expertize.
Good luck.
The heating element in my smoker does not touch the box and I am a little surprised that it should be touching. Would this not draw a lot of heat from the element and make it more difficult to heat the smoker? This would certainly be an easy solution.
quote:
Originally posted by WayneB:
Make sure the heating element is touching the wood box. If it's not, bent it up a little so it is touching the wood box.

Wayne B
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Perogy:
The wood in my CS Smokette does not turn to ash after a long (12 hour) smoke but remains as a black chunk of charcoal. I do get some smoke early on in the cooking process but after about an hour or two, the volume of smoke disappears. I am using Hickory, Apple and Cherry chunks from Cookshack and cooking at a temp of 225. I am storing my wood in a garden shed. I don't use the Smoker very often but this seems a bit unusual. Is it possible that the wood is too dry or too damp. Comments and advice would be appreciated.
I had the same problem after the first try.Today I just figured how to avoid it. I live in a seaside community, I figured dampness was my problem.just before I start the smoker I put the chunck of wood in my microwave for 45 seconds, it just starts to smolder , I then quickly place it in my smoker which is already started and off it goes.Did bacon today in 28degree weather, perfict and lots of smoke until the end.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.