Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hey there smokers !!

I have been using my sm025 for The last two years with great results !! The last 3 smokes I have found that my wood is not burning completely down to ash. I was used to seeing it burn up all of the way. I always placed the wood all the way to the back of the tray. I am using the cookshack wood. For example I have a packer brisket in right now at 200. I opened it up to check the wood after about 10 hrs. One piece had burned the other two were black, not ashen. I moved the wood to the front of the tray to see what happened. I store the wood in my finished basement in an open container. Also has been extremely humid outside for the last few smoKes. Before this one I did push up on the burner to get it closer to the tray in case that was the problem. Any thoughts on what would cause it to stop burning completely ??
I'm a fresh newbie here but had to jump in. I had the same problem with wood not being consumed. I referenced the forums here and came across a suggestion to put your wood in the unit at 250 and leave overnight. I went 4 hours and shut it off with door closed. Left it that way till next day. I did a smoke that day, the wood now burns 100% and plenty of smoke. I acually think the flavor is better as well.
I bought screw on type lid for a 5 gal. bucket at the depot to store my wood. I hope I can control the humidity better. Love these forums..some much great info
Just seasoned my SM025 yesterday. I bent the heating element up so both "U's" were touching the wood box. I put a tray of ice on the rack (read that somewhere). Then I ran it per the instructions - 2 chunks in the front of the box @ 200* for four and a half hours. Result? Blackened wood on the side in contact with the wood box, not even charring on the rest, and ever so slightly some color on the walls of the smoker. So I flipped the wood chunks over, restarted the cycle at 250* (not just turn it up), and ran it for maybe another hour and a half. One chunk was ashes and the other one well on its way to ashes. The inside of the smoker was blackened too. Going to throw a chicken in there today. As many have advised in the forum, I'm just going to try different things and keep good notes.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.