Skip to main content

Should the woodbox be resting on the floor of my 009 or should it be slightly suspended above the floor? I line the bottom carefully with foil and take extra time to make sure the foil is laying flat and that I've got the drain hole punched out, but at times it seems that the woodbox is blocking the flow of juices to the drain pan. Did a brisket today and the drain pan had a lot of drippings, but there was still some in the smoker and the bottom of the woodbox was heavily crusted over. Normal?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If you have properly slid the woodbox over the bracket.. such that the bracket passes thru the woodbox, I'd say something is wrong. The bracket may have been tweeked in shipping??? Mine rests about an inch above the floor of the smoker box. I would call Tony at customer service for the correction if one is needed. He is great.

The box will get crusted over with the drippin's that drop on it.. normal.. thats why we usually use HD aluminum foil on the top of the woodbox.. you betcha.
I measured the clearance from the bottom of the wood box to the 009 floor it is only about 1/8" to a 1/4". I noticed the bracket around the heating element is slightly off level. I tried to straighten but with no success.
The one sugestion I have is make sure the 009 is level ground or close to level if it is off the drippings migrate and do not drain through the drip hole. Cool GOOD LUCK!!
Had a similar problem, my SM008 wood box rested on rails, but was way to close (touching) to the bottom. I had a wheel (weld) break and Cookshack replaced the unit with a brand new one. The wood tray in the new one is 1/2 inch higher off the bottom than the replaced unit.
Cookshack will make it right!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.