Skip to main content

Reply to "Any BAKED BEANS from scratch in Smokette?"

quote:
Originally posted by Bodacious BBQ:
[qb] I noticed that the recipes I found on the site were using canned baked beans as a base.

Also, how long did they smoke to get the right amount of smoke?

But I will take recipes too Big Grin [/qb]

1. Try the soak/cook method I described. After 30 minutes of simmering, bite into one or two. If they're "almost tender" pull them aside and steep. You want to stop the cooking process while they're still
al dente If, after smoking, you find them mushy, simmer them less.

2. The "right amount of smoke" is pretty subjective. Depends on what wood you're using and how long you keep the beans in the smoker. When I smoke beaked beans with pulled pork, I pull them after 5-6 hrs, when the meat is in the "plateau" stage.

3. Recipes? A search of the forum recipes or Google will get you all you can shake a stick at. The great thing about beans is that they're like a blank canvas...your "paints" are in your kitchen pantry. If you like your beans on the traditional side, use some tomato product -- fresh, canned, ketshup, paste, whatever you have on hand. Next comes a sweetener - sugar (brown? white? turbanado?) or maple syrup, or honey, or molasses. Or, try a southwestern approach -- cumin, garlic, chilis. Those work great with Pintos.

Have fun with your creative juices - that's what this is all about. Keep notes and recipes...adjust them as needed. Keep at it and sooner or later you'll hit a home run. The great thing is someone will always be around to eat your foul balls Smiler